[comp.sys.apollo] Problem copying a cartrige tape

dvadura@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Dennis Vadura) (12/02/89)

I have a sr97 Maple 4.2 tape and I want to copy it... (on DN3500 running 10.1)
so I perform the following...,

>/systest/ssr_util/cptape -r test -dev ct
>calypso.root[39]% ls -l
>total 31825
>-rwxr--r--   1 root     10792960 Nov  2 15:25 maple42.sr10
>-rwxr--r--   1 root     10831360 Nov  2 16:35 maple42.sr97
>-rwx------   1 root     10831360 Dec  1 15:39 test

and when I do the rbak I get the error...

>calypso.root[40]% rbak -index -from test -all | more
>Starting index:
>

>** Tape i/o error -- DATA LOST.
>

>** UID in block header does not match those read from earlier blocks.
>correct uid = 4D41504C.45202020, uid read = 40C8C80D.80018A2C, block 11
>?(rbak) (next_block) Fatal error.

similar errors occurr if I copy the file to tape using cptape, and then
try the rbak from tape.

Anybody have any ideas?
What does the UID mismatch mean?  I couldn't find it any of the manuals
that I have.

-thanks
-dennis

Another rescue ruined by the total     |Dennis  UUCP,BITNET:    dvadura@water
lack of danger.                        |Vadura  EDU,CDN,CSNET:  dvadura@waterloo

davidb@braf.inmos.co.uk (David Boreham) (12/04/89)

This is apparently a bug in cptape. Mabe someone from HP/Apollo
could fill in the details. we have this problem all the time
getting tapes from Mentor, who copy Apollo RAI tapes for us.

David Boreham, INMOS Limited | mail(uk): davidb@inmos.co.uk or ukc!inmos!davidb
Bristol,  England            |     (us): uunet!inmos.com!davidb
+44 454 616616 ex 547        | Internet: davidb@inmos.com

lampi@pnet02.gryphon.com (Michael Lampi) (12/05/89)

> What does the UID mismatch mean?   [text deleted]

Each block written by WBAK to a tape contains header information in addition
to the data being backed up. There is a UID created for the backup set which
is written in a section of this header info portion, which RBAK uses to verify
that the data it is reading is good, and not a part of something that it
doesn't know about.

Sounds like you may have skipped a block, missed an end-of-file marker, or the
original tape is bad.

Michael Lampi               MDL Corporation   213/782-7888   fax 213/782-7927

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!lampi
INET: lampi@pnet02.gryphon.com
"My opinions are that of my corporation!"

dvadura@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Dennis Vadura) (12/05/89)

In article <23078@gryphon.COM> lampi@pnet02.gryphon.com (Michael Lampi) writes:
>> What does the UID mismatch mean?   [text deleted]
>
>Sounds like you may have skipped a block, missed an end-of-file marker, or the
>original tape is bad.

Hmm, I've since successfully restored from the original tape its entire
contents using rbak.  Now I can probably create a new tape by using wbak
but this seems a bit awkward.

Why do I get an error when when I copy the tape image to a file and
then try to perform an rbak from the tape image I have on disk.
This is the fundamental problem that I do not understand.

It was my understanding that when you use /systest/ssr_util/cptape, that
what you get on disk is an *EXACT* image of the contents of the tape,
if I then take that file and try an rbak from it from disk, or if I copy
it to a new tape and then try the rbak from the tape it fails with the
previously posted errors.