[comp.sys.apollo] Using the same IP class C adress with a domain-ring and an ethernet

ief@geocub.greco-prog.fr (Alain Merigot) (12/05/89)

	My site has for a short time an internet class C adress. We have a
small (15 machines) domain-ring, and an equal number of others computers
on an ethernet. Presently (sr10) all the machines communicate without problems
with tcp ip. We have 2 different domains, and an apollo gateway.
	Now, we must renumber all the machines, with respect to our class C
adress. My problem is : how can i use the same class C adress with a domain
ring and a plain ethernet ? I am not a tcp/ip expert and the documentation
did not seem to be very helful (at least to me !). Could somebody
give me some hints ?

Many thanks in advance,

A. Merigot
			Institut d'Electronique Fondamentale
			Universite Paris Sud
			91405 Orsay Cedex
			France

			...uunet!mcvax!inria!iefups!am
			am%iefups@lri.lri.fr

kerr@tron.UUCP (Dave Kerr) (12/06/89)

In article <1531@geocub.greco-prog.fr> am%iefups@inria.inria.fr writes:

>	My site has for a short time an internet class C adress. We have a
>small (15 machines) domain-ring, and an equal number of others computers
>on an ethernet. Presently (sr10) all the machines communicate without problems
>with tcp ip. We have 2 different domains, and an apollo gateway.
>	Now, we must renumber all the machines, with respect to our class C
>adress. My problem is : how can i use the same class C adress with a domain
>ring and a plain ethernet ? I am not a tcp/ip expert and the documentation
>did not seem to be very helful (at least to me !). Could somebody
>give me some hints ?

You have to have your domain ring be one network and the ethernet be another
network Your apollo gateway can run /etc/routed to route between the two
networks. These networks can be subnets, where you divide the host portion
of your class C address into a network and host portion. This is done with
the mask option to /etc/ifconfig. Alternatively you could get another
class C address for the token ring.

--
Dave Kerr (301) 765-4453
kerr%tron.UUCP@umbc3.UMBC.EDU             from an Internet site