[comp.sys.apollo] Domain Ring and NFS

rtp1@tank.uchicago.edu (raymond thomas pierrehumbert) (12/09/89)

NFS can be obtained directly from Apollo. Call Apollo Direct, or
your sales rep.  Mine cost about $100 some dollars, and I installed
it using minst in about 15 minutes. Worked perfectly the first time.
It has been trouble free, so I didn't order the pricey $50/mont
support/update service

ramu@tcipro.UUCP (Ramu Iyer) (12/13/89)

We have a network of Apollos and Suns at our site. The Apollos talk to each other through the Domain
Ring network. The Apollos and Suns cannot talk to each other since NFS isn't running on *both* the
Apollos and Suns.

Could anyone outline the advantages of having NFS on an Apollo network apart from the Domain Ring Network?

Thanks in advance.

--ramu iyer

kint@software.org (Rick Kint) (12/13/89)

In article <8912131306.AA14840@unix.sri.com> ramu@tcipro.UUCP (Ramu Iyer) writes:
>We have a network of Apollos and Suns at our site. The Apollos talk to each other through the Domain
>Ring network. The Apollos and Suns cannot talk to each other since NFS isn't running on *both* the
>Apollos and Suns.
>
>Could anyone outline the advantages of having NFS on an Apollo network apart from the Domain Ring Network?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>--ramu iyer

	Well, the obvious (and compelling) advantage is that Suns and Apollos
will be able to share files if you run NFS on your ring...

	There's good news and bad news about Apollo NFS.  The good news is
that it lets you mount the entire ring through a single server:

		/etc/mount -t nfs foo:// /nfs/apollo

will mount an entire Domain internet (as seen by //foo) on /nfs/apollo on a
Sun.  You then use node names below that.  This helps keep /etc/fstab and/or
your automount map within bounds, although it may not work well with estabished
naming conventions.

	The bad news is that since mount points are typed files (nfs_gate),
you can't mount remote filesystems on remote directories (like you can on Suns
and other native UNIX boxes), so you lose the filesystem hierarchy on remote
mounts.  All of our mount points for a given host are in a flat namespace.

	It looks like they've fixed a lot of bugs at NFS 2.1, so I'm not sure
what the other bad news is at present.  It's worth trying.

--
Rick Kint                          CSNET:   kint@software.org
Software Productivity Consortium   ARPANET: kint%software.org@relay.cs.net