[comp.sys.apollo] Registry problem on DN3500

pang@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Swee-Chee Pang) (12/15/89)

Hi, I was recently given the job of getting a "stand-alone" Apollo DN3500
functioning again, the password being lost.
So, I booted up as root (by playing with rc) and tried to run
rgy_create.
However, rgy_create gives:
Registry: Error - Unable to get next pgo entry when generating UNIX
password file 0x1c040008.

and a second run produce:
Registry: Fatal Error - 0x1c050003 - Unable to create database (Network
computing system/Registry Server Replication)

I am at a loss.
Please reply via e-mail if possible!

Thank you in advance for any responses.

[Pang, Swee-Chee]   		pang@neon.stanford.edu
He believed in a door.  He must find that door.  The door was
the way to ... to ...

pato@apollo.HP.COM (Joe Pato) (12/16/89)

In article <1989Dec14.194343.12174@Neon.Stanford.EDU>,
pang@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Swee-Chee Pang) writes:
> Hi, I was recently given the job of getting a "stand-alone" Apollo DN3500
> functioning again, the password being lost.
> So, I booted up as root (by playing with rc) and tried to run
> rgy_create.
> However, rgy_create gives:
> Registry: Error - Unable to get next pgo entry when generating UNIX
> password file 0x1c040008.
>
> and a second run produce:
> Registry: Fatal Error - 0x1c050003 - Unable to create database (Network
> computing system/Registry Server Replication)
>
> I am at a loss.
> Please reply via e-mail if possible!
>
> Thank you in advance for any responses.

> [Pang, Swee-Chee]   		pang@neon.stanford.edu
> He believed in a door.  He must find that door.  The door was
> the way to ... to ...

You didn't mention what version of software was running on the 3500, but the
only time we've seen this problem:
 Registry: Error - Unable to get next pgo entry when generating UNIX
   password file 0x1c040008.

was from early beta releases of sr10.2.  You should move to the FCS version
of sr10.2 for more stable behavior.

If I remember correctly, the database will have been created anyway and you
can run a registry server on the node.

The second error message is due to the existence of the database - rgy_create
is unable to create a new database because one already exists.  I admit that
the error message should be cleaned up a bit.

 Joe Pato
 Apollo Computer            A Subsidiary of Hewlett-Packard
 NSFNET: pato@apollo.com    UUCP: ...{attunix,uw-beaver,brunix}!apollo!pato