[comp.sys.apollo] Ownership inheritance in 10.1p

rtp1@tank.uchicago.edu (raymond thomas pierrehumbert) (12/19/89)

One of the comments in the tirade from the Netherlands reminded me of
a problem I have been having with ownership protection.  As I am a
Unix novice, I thought it was a normal bad feature, but evidently not.
Running BSD 4.3, if I am in a directory with owner, say, "bob", and
do a mkdir, the directory made comes out with owner "none" whereas
under normal BSD you would have bob inheriting the ownership.  This
is extremely awkard (it wreaks havoc with our Gatorbox nfs file sharing
with the macs, as you can't copy a directory from a mac to unix unless
you are logged in as "none).  My question:  Is there anyway to set things
up so that newly created files and directories inherit ownership from
the parents?

Actually, on the subject of the tirade from the Netherlands, I don't mind
the bugs in 10.1.  All complex software has its problems (its nothing com-
pared to the early Cray and Cyber OS's).  What really gets my goat is having
to PAY $100/month for the privilege of helping Apollo (division of HP)
debug their software.  That, as our friend from the land of Tulips and
dikes would say, is unacceptable.

krowitz%richter@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (David Krowitz) (12/19/89)

When you invol (ie. format) your SR10 disk, you get to choose whether
the default method of propagating ownership on newly created files
and subdirectories is the BSD model, the SYSV model, or the AEGIS
model. My guess is that your disk was set up for AEGIS. Anybody out
there know a quick test and fix for this problem?

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

lwa@skeptic.osf.org (Larry Allen) (12/20/89)

Dave is right.  To check, use the "lsacl"
command to list the initial file ACL on
the directory.

To change the initial file ACL to be UNIX-style
(either BSD or System V style), you can
use the "chacl" command; "chacl -B" sets
BSD-style inheritance (file owner is the
creator's uid, while group comes from the
directory), and I forget what the flag
for System V style inheritance (both
file owner and file group come from the
creator's uid and gid).  See the
chacl documentation.
				-Larry Allen
				 Open Software Foundation

kerr@tron.UUCP (Dave Kerr) (12/20/89)

In article <6794@tank.uchicago.edu> rtp1@tank.uchicago.edu (raymond thomas pierrehumbert) writes:
>One of the comments in the tirade from the Netherlands reminded me of
>a problem I have been having with ownership protection.  As I am a

[ text describing inheritance deleted ]

Under sr10, you can have three styles of initial acls, one
based on bsd unix, one based on sys5 unix and one based on
aegis. The unix ones get the acls (permissions) for newly
created files from your process and group, while aegis style
acls are inherited from initial file and directory acl
entries found in the parent directory.

You can use the /usr/apollo/bin/chacl command to select the
style of your choice.

--
Dave Kerr (301) 765-4453
kerr@tron.bwi.wec.com      from an Internet site