[comp.sys.apollo] More SR10 Woes

derstad@CIM-VAX.HONEYWELL.COM ("DAVE ERSTAD") (12/16/89)

Here's another one for netland to think about.

I'm doing software development using SR10.1 on a DN4000 with
Pascal 8.6 and C 6.6 (application mixes both).

Two odd things are happening, one always and the other intermittently.

The intermittent problem is that when trying to execute the bound
object code, I get a "file is not an object module or is not executable
on this machine type" message.  I'm using Motorola compilers and running
on a Motorola node (actual execution is on a DN3000).  I'm in a cycle
of minor change-compile-bind-run-repeat, and the problem pops up sometimes
and not others for no discernable reason.

The other problem is that after I bind the object, the length is 292 blocks,
but the "current length" is about 5 MB.  After executing the code, the
block length increases to about 5000.  Moreover, this occurs even when
the code does not actually run due to the other problem.  A guess I had
was that it had something to do with allocating space in the coff file
for all the static storage, but I was unable to replicate this
behavior with small test programs.

Does anyone have explanations for these?  The first problem is really the
troublesome one;  the second is just annoying, and I suspect there is
a logical explanation (although I find it hard to understand how
executing an object is allowed to change the object.).

Thanks in advance,

Dave Erstad
Honeywell SSEC
DERSTAD@cim-vax.honeywell.com

marmen@is2.bnr.ca (Rob Marmen 1532773) (12/18/89)

In article <8912152124.AA21689@umix.cc.umich.edu>, derstad@CIM-VAX.HONEYWELL.COM ("DAVE ERSTAD") writes:

> I'm doing software development using SR10.1 on a DN4000 with
> Pascal 8.6 and C 6.6 (application mixes both).
>
> The intermittent problem is that when trying to execute the bound
> object code, I get a "file is not an object module or is not executable
> on this machine type" message.  I'm using Motorola compilers and running
> on a Motorola node (actual execution is on a DN3000).  I'm in a cycle
> of minor change-compile-bind-run-repeat, and the problem pops up sometimes
> and not others for no discernable reason.
>
> Dave Erstad
> Honeywell SSEC
> DERSTAD@cim-vax.honeywell.com

I ran into the same problem at our site. I was trying to execute an Apollo compiled
program which had been moved to an HP 9000 for storage. I was accessing the module
from the HP via NFS.

The problem was reported to the Apollo hotline. I forgot what the response was.
We've labelled it an NFS "feature".

Hope this helps....      rob...
| Robert Marmen             marmen@bnr.ca  OR             |
| Bell Northern Research    marmen%bnr.ca@cunyvm.cuny.edu |
| (613) 763-8244         My opinions are my own, not BNRs |

derstad@CIM-VAX.HONEYWELL.COM ("DAVE ERSTAD") (12/20/89)

From Robert Marmen:

>  I ran into the same problem at our site. I was trying to execute an Apollo compi
>  led
>  program which had been moved to an HP 9000 for storage. I was accessing the modu
>  le
>  from the HP via NFS.

and Andrew Wescott:

>  I think you will find the NFS problem is solved with
>  the above combination.  Actually, I think the newest
>  Pascal compiler will do the job.. The above combo
>  should also solve the vms problem you were having.
>  I beta-tested all of the current compilers, and I was
>  able to compile and link remote (NFS) source files,
>  as well as load executables onto the NFS disk.

However, this is not an NFS problem.  Everything is on the same token ring.

I have determined that local binds never exhibit this problem, and the object
code runs on at least two other nodes successfully, so I suspect
my local nodes type managers might be corrupted somehow.  It's odd that
the problem is intermittent, however.

We may reload my node.  I'll keep the net posted.

Dave Erstad
Honeywell SSEC
DERSTAD@cim-vax.honeywell.com

ALBRECHT@INTELLICORP.COM (Steve Albrecht) (12/20/89)

RE: "file is not an object module or is not executable on this machine type"
I assume that the target DN3000 is also running SR10.1.  If it is running
SR9.7 or before, than you will have to convert the COFF object file.

Speaking from knowledge of the Domain and UNIX C compilers only, the
deafult target should be "any", but you may want to specify it
explicitely with the -cpu or -M options.  See pp 6-222 and 6-23 of Domain
C Language Reference for details.

RE: "block length increases to about 5000"

Do you mean "the file length increases to about 5000"?  If so, this is a
well known problem in SR10.1 for which a fix is promised in SR10.2.
Grit your teeth if you need it fixed in Domain/OS 10.1.

) Steve Albrecht - IntelliCorp, Inc. - Knowledge Systems Product Development (
( "Opinions expressed here are my own, if anyone's, and not my employer's."  )
) DDS   albrecht@intellicorp.com         :     COMPUSERVE  73657,1342        (
( UUCP  ...!sun!intellicorp.com!albrecht :     public bbs  (415)969-5643     )
)   or  ...!sun!icmv!albrecht            :                "c"omment to sysop (
-------