[comp.sys.apollo] live video for Apollo ?

lucenius@vtt.vtt.fi (12/15/89)

We intend to experiment with multimedia retrieval including live video,
thus if possible we would like to get video from external source(s) in
window(s) onto the consol screen. Video sources could be videodisk players
or possibly video tape recorders, for example. Video should be used together
with other data which may appear in different windows. We have an Apollo
DN3500 workstation. If possible we would also use X-windows and some tool
for rapid prototyping.

Are there any such systems for DN3500. How with other workstations. Has any-
body any experience; what hardware and software is needed ?

Jan Lucenius

lori@hacgate.scg.hac.com (Lori Barfield) (12/20/89)

In article <5207.2588d12b@vtt.vtt.fi> lucenius@vtt.vtt.fi writes:
>We intend to experiment with multimedia retrieval including live video,
>thus if possible we would like to get video from external source(s) in
>window(s) onto the consol screen. [...]
>Are there any such systems for DN3500. How with other workstations. Has any-
>body any experience; what hardware and software is needed ?

Well, the Intelligent Light system we bought isn't exactly what you are
asking about, but they may have the capability you seek.  (Our system
generates 3-D graphics animation on a Sony monitor via a VCR-type
machine which is wired in to a DN3000.)  Their number is 201-794-7550.

I question whether a DN3500 will have the graphics horsepower to display
real-time video sequences smoothly, but I'm no hardware expert.  Double
buffering with an enhanced 256-bit-plane graphics card (if exists) might
be a minimum upgrade.  Please let us know what you find out.

...lori

poole@LNIC1.HPRC.UH.EDU (Steven W. Poole) (12/20/89)

256 bit ?????

Steve...

lori@hacgate.scg.hac.com (Lori Barfield) (12/21/89)

In article <8912200320.AA00775@lnic1.hprc.uh.edu>
poole@LNIC1.HPRC.UH.EDU (Steven W. Poole) writes:
>256 bit ?????

Uh, whoops.  (red face here!)  Meant 8-bit, 256-color plane....

An enhanced graphics frame buffer would have 8-bit color table
addressing, so you can have 2^^8 colors.  We had a 8-bit-plane
enhanced graphics card in our DN580T until we discovered Dialog has
a few serious bugs with this hardware (SR9).  I never saw it in
action, but they've said this card was fast.  And of course, the
extra colors could transform a simplistic-looking color interface
into a professional-looking, high-tech display.

Would someone out there please explain enhanced graphics cards?
I ain't hardware, and salespeople have been no help....

...lori

richi@hpopd.HP.COM (Richard Jennings) (12/22/89)

I'm not an expert in Apollo hardware (OK, so I know next-to-nowt), but I
remember that (some?) Apollo machines have AT busses.  This may allow you to
use PC video-in-windows cards that don't mind higher frame rates that that
generally experienced in a PC (eg. VGA).

A good choice might be the DVA-4000/ISA board produced by VideoLogic.  It is
aimed at DOS machines, but they might well be helpful in telling you how to
drive the board from a different platform (ie. Apollo).

VideoLogic Ltd.
Home Park Estate
Kings Langley
Hertfordshire  WD4 8LZ

Tel (intn): +44 9277 60511
Fax (intn): +44 9277 68969
Telex:      917310 VL-G

Good luck,

richi.

Disclaimer: this posting is on behalf of myself, as an individual, and does
            not necessarily contain or represent opinions of my employers.