[comp.sys.apollo] news software

barriost@utopia.UUCP (Tim Barrios) (12/22/89)

We are in the process of converting to Domain/OS (SR10).  Currently,
we run bnews on one of 800+ Apollo nodes and all of our nodes
are linked to the news server.  Our news software is in need
of a re-configure/re-make so I want to find out if there is a
new version of news that works better on SR10.

Here are my specific questions:

  1. is there an Apollo/SR10 specific version or will the generic source make
     on Apollo SR10
  2. where can i get it
  3. does new still have to be batched still (because of a locking of the
     active file problem)
  4. is anyone running it successfully under sys5 instead of bsd
  5. do both bnews and cnews work on SR10

if this is of general interest, post followups.  if not, just send me
mail and i will post a summary (use my signature mailing address since
the news one is wrong).

--
Tim Barrios (barriost@gtephx)
UUCP: {ncar!noao!asuvax | uunet!zardoz!hrc | att}!gtephx!barriost

paolo@ai-vie.UUCP (Paolo Petta) (12/22/89)

In article <4790152b.15b4b@utopia.UUCP> barriost@utopia.UUCP (Tim Barrios) writes:

>We are in the process of converting to Domain/OS (SR10).  ...
>Our news software is in need of a re-configure/re-make so I want to find
>out if there is a  new version of news that works better on SR10.

Same is true for us - please let us know if there is a *European*
distribution facility... (we are upgrading to SR10.1.? BSD4.3)

thank you!
--
paolo petta,                      paolo@ai-vie.uucp (..mcsun!tuvie!ai-vie!paolo)
austrian research institute for           bitnet: paolo%ai-vie.uucp@cernvax