[comp.sys.apollo] Can we run Domain/X11 Version 1.0 without TCP/IP

sl11@prism.gatech.EDU (LIEBESKIND,SUSAN H) (12/23/89)

We need to install Domain/X11 on a Apollo 4000 running SR 9.7.
We do not have TCP/IP running on our system currently.  We
want to run the server, client and display all on the same workstation.

In the *SR10.x* documentation, it says we can run the server using
UDS (Unix Domain Sockets) if TCP is not working correctly.  However,
we are running on the earlier OS, and on the earlier version of
Domain/X11 as well.  Is this a valid alternative for Domain/X11 1.0
under SR 9.7?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Susan Liebeskind

--
LIEBESKIND,SUSAN H
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!sl11

dawson@apollo.HP.COM (Keith Dawson) (01/02/90)

In article <4493@hydra.gatech.EDU> sl11@prism.gatech.EDU (LIEBESKIND,SUSAN H) writes:

  >We need to install Domain/X11 on a Apollo 4000 running SR 9.7.
  >We do not have TCP/IP running on our system currently.  We
  >want to run the server, client and display all on the same workstation.
  >
  >In the *SR10.x* documentation, it says we can run the server using
  >UDS (Unix Domain Sockets) if TCP is not working correctly.  However,
  >we are running on the earlier OS, and on the earlier version of
  >Domain/X11 as well.  Is this a valid alternative for Domain/X11 1.0
  >under SR 9.7?

No, UDS is not supported under SR9.7. When Domain/X11 v1.0 starts up
it initializes only a TCP/IP socket, so you must have TCP/IP installed
and running to use X at all under SR9.7, even in the local case.

Keith Dawson  Hewlett Packard Co.         508-256-0176 x5739   are my own.
              Graphics Technology Division / East
              300 Apollo Dr.  (CHR.03.DE)
              Chelmsford, MA  01824                      USA   My convictions
              Internet: dawson@apollo.hp.com                   are not for
              UUCP: {mit-eddie,yale,uw-beaver}!apollo!dawson   public display.