[comp.sys.apollo] X-Windows System

danny@idacom.uucp (Danny Wilson) (12/28/89)

I am trying to get X up under SR10.1 and I have the distribution tape
from ADUS. (X11R1)

I had used this tape a long time ago (SR9.6) to try out X and everything
worked fine (although a little slowly).

However, now when I restore the tape, there are a total of 164 files that
seemed to have disappeared!  After the restore, there are only
links to the actual files:  eg.

under the 'include' directory -

$ ld -lt -ent Xlib.h
Xlib.h			"X.V11R1/include/Xlib.h"

This makes it impossible to compile under SR10 unless I get the missing files.

Questions:
1.	Is there a more recent (and free) version of X around that I should
	be using instead or 'R1' ??  Where do I get it from?

2.	I am _possitive_ that those files were fine under SR9.6.
	Where did they go?  Did they spontaneously turn into links to
	themselves or is this a feature of SR10?

Many Thanks
--
Danny Wilson			danny@idacom.uucp
IDACOM Electronics		alberta!idacom!danny

dawson@apollo.HP.COM (Keith Dawson) (01/02/90)

In article <1989Dec27.230346.7847@idacom.uucp> danny@idacom.uucp (Danny Wilson) writes:

  >I am trying to get X up under SR10.1 and I have the distribution tape
  >from ADUS. (X11R1)
  >
  >I had used this tape a long time ago (SR9.6) to try out X and everything
  >worked fine (although a little slowly).

This ADUS tape contained X.V11R2 -- we never made R1 available in any form...

  >However, now when I restore the tape, there are a total of 164 files that
  >seemed to have disappeared!

I have seen a problem, when using SR10.n rbak to restore a tape written using
SR9.7 wbak, whose symptom seems to be the scrambling of the resolution text of
all symbolic links (i.e., links created with BSD "ln -s").

Even if the tree were intact, you would probably have difficulty building X
from source on SR10.1. There have been various problems with the C compiler,
C preprocessor, include files, etc. -- which is why we have always included
a pre-built binary tree on the 3 ADUS tapes we have released so far.

If you insist on running a "borrow-mode," unsupported X server, your best
options are:

 1. Order the later ADUS tape that contains X.V11R3 built for SR10.1. It is
    available now. R3 is a considerable improvement, in terms of bug level,
    over R2.

 2. Order the upcoming ADUS tape for X.V11R4. It will be available as soon as
    we can get the "bits" to the ADUS people and they can duplicate the tapes.
    R4 is considerably faster than any previous MIT release. We have gone to
    some pains to assure that customers will be able to build this X success-
    fully with released compilers of "vanilla" SR10.1 and SR10.2 systems.

Better options, in my opinion, are to go with the product versions of X11. You
can order Domain/X11 v1.1 (for SR10.1) for the cost of an ADUS tape. With it you
get the ability to run the X and the Display Manager environments at the same
time. Be sure to request patch m066 as well; it fixes a number of serious prob-
lems in X11.

Best of all would be to install SR10.2. Domain/X11 v1.2 is bundled with the
operating system at no additional charge. Its performance is much improved over
previous versions. And it's fully supported.

Keith Dawson  Hewlett Packard Co.         508-256-0176 x5739   are my own.
              Graphics Technology Division / East
              300 Apollo Dr.  (CHR.03.DE)
              Chelmsford, MA  01824                      USA   My convictions
              Internet: dawson@apollo.hp.com                   are not for
              UUCP: {mit-eddie,yale,uw-beaver}!apollo!dawson   public display.