[comp.sys.apollo] Updating Apollo's X to X11R4?

sl11@prism.gatech.EDU (LIEBESKIND,SUSAN H) (01/05/90)

These may be more appropriate questions for our sales rep, but
he hasn't been able to help me much with X questions.
This is the only medium I know of for getting Domain/X11
technical questions answered (and a hearty thank you to the
folks at Apollo and elsewhere who answer them!)

1) What is the planned schedule for updating the Domain/X11
system to X11R4? (now that it has been available for all of
3 days :-) ) Is there going to be one?  Is there any approximate
schedule that we outside of Apollo can be told about?

2) I understand that the MOTIF interface style will be
available with Open Dialogue 2.0.  Does this mean that
we will receive the MOTIF widget set and an Open Dialogue
wrapper on top of that when we order 2.0?  We were thinking
about possibly ordering MOTIF separately, but if all we
need is the widget set, would this be a waste of money?
Will Apollo be distributing the MOTIF documentation
with the widgets?

3) Any possibilities that Apollo will distribute the
O'Reilly toolkit books (when they are finally published)
as part of Domain/X11, just as they distribute the Xlib books
and X window system book?

Thanks in advance.

Susan Liebeskind
--
LIEBESKIND,SUSAN H
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!sl11

oj@apollo.HP.COM (Ellis Oliver Jones) (01/05/90)

In article <4607@hydra.gatech.EDU> sl11@prism.gatech.EDU (LIEBESKIND,SUSAN H) writes:
>1) What is the planned schedule for updating the Domain/X11
>system to X11R4?
We don't have the schedule nailed down yet for the sharemode R4 server.

>(now that it has been available for all of
>3 days :-) )
The stuff which has been available for 3 days contains a workable,
buildable R4 borrow mode server for SR10.1 and SR10.2.   Some people
around here are using it successfully (not me, I like the DM too much :-)

At some time in the near future somebody here will make a binary kit
for distribution through the ADUS library.

>2) I understand that the MOTIF interface style will be
>available with Open Dialogue 2.0.
Correct.

>Does this mean that
>we will receive the MOTIF widget set and an Open Dialogue
>wrapper on top of that when we order 2.0?
No, you can order either OSF/Motif itself if you want the
widget set or Open Dialogue V2.0.  They're different products.
OSF/Motif is shipping now, but NOT VIA INSTANT APOLLO.
Open Dialogue V2.0 should be shipping real soon; we just got
word of the final ECO approval.

>We were thinking
>about possibly ordering MOTIF separately, but if all we
>need is the widget set, would this be a waste of money?
No, for two reasons:
(1) Open Dialogue doesn't use the widget implementation.
(2) The OSF/Motif kit contains the widget binaries
    and their manpages and header files.  It also contains
    the OSF/Motif version of the Xt intrinsics, which you
    *must* use with the OSF/Motif widgets, and their manpages
    and binaries.

    The kit also contains a bunch of examples and
    the OSF/Motif window manager (mwm).
So, you need just about everything on the OSF/Motif
kit if you want to use that widget set.
Notice that you can order the SOURCE for OSF/Motif
directly from OSF if you like, or the BINARIES from
HP/Apollo.  If you're going to do a lot of widget hacking
it's probably a good idea to order both things.

What, then, you might ask, is on the Open Dialogue distribution?
The answer is the Open Dialogue object-oriented UIMS
development kit and runtime.  It doesn't use widgets or
Xt instrinsics, but it does produce user interfacs which
follow the OSF/Motif Style Guide.

>Will Apollo be distributing the MOTIF documentation
>with the widgets?
No, but it will be out soon as published books from
Prentice-Hall.

>3) Any possibilities that Apollo will distribute the
>O'Reilly toolkit books (when they are finally published)
>as part of Domain/X11, just as they distribute the Xlib books
>and X window system book?
No, in fact as of SR10.2 we aren't bundling any of the
O'Reilly books with Domain/X11.  Domain/X11 is bundled
with the operating system as of SR10.2, and if we had
included copies of the books with all SR10.2 kits the
costs would have greatly exceeded the benefits (many
SR10.2 sites don't care enough about X to benefit from
ten pounds of documentation).
/Ollie Jones (speaking for myself, not necessarily for HP Apollo Systems Division)