[comp.sys.apollo] Serial/Parallel board question

root@blender.UUCP (Herb Peyerl) (01/01/90)

lori@hacgate.scg.hac.com (Lori Barfield) writes:
>>David Krowitz (krowitz @richter.mit.edu) writes
>>>gives you access to sio2 and sio3.
>In article <24198@gryphon.COM> lampi@pnet02.gryphon.com (Michael Lampi) writes:
>>This adapter cable is supplied as standard equipment on a DN3500.
>Our DN4500 didn't come with one.

Our salescreature says that this is an option you have to purchase and does
not come as standard equipment on ANY models... But we all know what sales-
creatures are like... We can't even get them to return our calls when we
want to BUY something...

Has anyone actually figured out what the pinout is on this item??? I always
said I was gonna sit down with an Ohm meter someday and figure it out but I
haven't gotten around to it...

UUCP: herb@blender.UUCP   ||  ...calgary!xenlink!blender!{herb||root}
ICBM: 51 03 N / 114 05 W  || Apollo Sys_admin, Novatel Communications
"The other day, I...... No wait..... That wasn't me!" <Steven Wright>

pang@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Swee-Chee Pang) (01/03/90)

I have a stand alone Apollo 3500, and would like to use the
Serial/Parallel board that it comes with to act like a serial line to
my modem, are there programs available to do this?
If not, any information as to how I may write one to do this would help.
Thanx.

Pang, Swee-Chee		MSCS, CSD Stanford University
	"The secret to life, announced tonight, or whenever convenient"

krowitz%richter@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (David Krowitz) (01/03/90)

The software which comes which the Apollo SPE board should
create a couple of device files in the /dev directory (if
it has been installed on your node, that is!). They are:
/dev/spe_ddf_sio1 and /dev/spe_ddf_sio2 (or something like
that). You can open these devices just as if they where
(were) the regular /dev/siox lines. By the way, you are
aware that the DB25 connector on the DN3500 is wired to
handle 3 seperate RS232 devices, are you not? There is an
adaptor cable available from Apollo's 1-800 catalog which
gives you access to sio2 and sio3.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

lampi@pnet02.gryphon.com (Michael Lampi) (01/04/90)

David Krowitz (krowitz @richter.mit.edu) writes
> ...By the way, you are
>aware that the DB25 connector on the DN3500 is wired to
>handle 3 seperate RS232 devices, are you not? There is an
>adapter cable available from Apollo's 1-800 catalog which
>gives you access to sio2 and sio3.

This adapter cable is supplied as standard equipment on a DN3500. If you
didn't get it with your system, I'd complain to my Apollo sales rep.
Michael Lampi               MDL Corporation   213/782-7888   fax 213/782-7927

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!lampi
INET: lampi@pnet02.gryphon.com
"My opinions are that of my corporation!"

oj@apollo.HP.COM (Ellis Oliver Jones) (01/04/90)

In article <1990Jan2.220320.18360@Neon.Stanford.EDU> pang@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Swee-Chee Pang) writes:
>I have a stand alone Apollo 3500, and would like to use the
>Serial/Parallel board that it comes with to act like a serial line to
>my modem, are there programs available to do this?

I use this shell script to set up one of my DN4000's serial port so I can log
in to it from a terminal emulator program on a PC.  This worked when I had sr10.1,
and it still works with sr10.2.

I've found that going faster than 2400 baud messes up xmodem, which I use for file
transfer.

#!/com/sh
args >/tmp/siomonit_file "-repeat /dev/sio1 -n siologin1_local  /com/sh -f -c user_data/startup_sio.sh 1"
xdmc "cps /sys/siologin/siomonit -n siomonitor /tmp/siomonit_file"
tctl -line 1 -default -speed 2400 -dcd_enable -insync -nosync

/Ollie Jones (speaking for myself)

lori@hacgate.scg.hac.com (Lori Barfield) (01/05/90)

>David Krowitz (krowitz @richter.mit.edu) writes
>>                                              There is an
>>adapter cable available from Apollo's 1-800 catalog which
>>gives you access to sio2 and sio3.

In article <24198@gryphon.COM> lampi@pnet02.gryphon.com (Michael Lampi) writes:
>This adapter cable is supplied as standard equipment on a DN3500.

Our DN4500 didn't come with one.

...lori

dbfunk@ICAEN.UIOWA.EDU (David B Funk) (01/06/90)

>David Krowitz (krowitz @richter.mit.edu) writes
>>                                              There is an
>>adapter cable available from Apollo's 1-800 catalog which
>>gives you access to sio2 and sio3.

In article <24198@gryphon.COM> lampi@pnet02.gryphon.com (Michael Lampi) writes:
>This adapter cable is supplied as standard equipment on a DN3500.

    Sorry to contradict you Michael, but David's right. The 3-plex serial
expander "pig-tail" is NOT standard equipment on a DN3500. It IS
standard equipment on a DN4000, but an extra cost option on all newer
M68k models. IE it does not come standard with DN35xx, DN45xx, or DN2500
you have to order it as an option.

Dave Funk

crh@APOLLO.ENG.OHIO-STATE.EDU (Charlotte Hawley) (01/08/90)

I don't make any guarantees that this pin readout is correct.
We did this with the intention of making more cables, which we
never did.

 SIO to SIO-1,2,3 split

   Signal      1  2  3  4  5  7  8  20

   Line 1      1  2  3  4  5  7  8  20
   Line 2      1 12 13 14 15  7 16  18
   Line 3      1 21  9 23 10  7 25  19

krowitz%richter@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (David Krowitz) (01/08/90)

Your salesman is correct. You must purchase the cable
seperately. The pinout is listed in the "Domain Series
2500 Owner's Guide", page 5-4. Here it is:

Pin#	Signal
====	======
1	ground
2	sio1 txd