[comp.sys.apollo] Editor Via SIO Line

lori@hacgate.scg.hac.com (Lori Barfield) (01/10/90)

In article <9001090126.AA21653@umix.cc.umich.edu> jshoj@EARTH.LERC.NASA.GOV ("Jeffery Hojnicki") writes:
>Will this program (FSE) also work on, say, a PC emulating a VT100 logged in
>via telnet.  If so, can someone provide me information on this editor program
>(ie. How well does it work, how much is it, what does it run under, where can
>I get it from, etc.)

I used FSE many times with VT100 emulators, and it was very reliable
as well as easy to learn.  I never used it across Telnet, but can't
see any reason why it would work differently.  BTW, FSE has a "recover"
feature which saves the edit session if the node goes down.  I used
this many times when some $%^&! would turn off the disked node I
was remotely logged in to without bothering to check first to see if
someone was there.  Rarely lost a keystroke, unless the network
itself was experiencing trouble.

FSE isn't limited to VT100, BTW, it has many terminal options.  VT100
emulators were just the easiest and cheapest for us to get our hands on.
(I said this before:  this is a very cost-effective way to expand your
net if you have users who have PCs or dumb terminals at their desks
already, and they do substantial word-processing.)

Price I dunno anymore.  Call Danford at 213-514-9334.

One disadvantage:  FSE was node-locked, and we only had three nodes
with licenses, so we had to hang lots of SIO lines off of those machines.
If one went down, potentially several people were stalled.  If Danford
has switched to using a hot-seat check instead of node-locking, then
this inconvenience is now gone.

...lori