[comp.sys.apollo] RCS for Apollos

dregis@pldote.intel.com (~Dave Regis) (01/10/90)

I am looking for a successful port of the Revision Control System (RCS)
for Apollos.  I have the source, but the supplied rdiff (modified diff)
memory faults causing 'ci' to fail.

Any assistance in locating source would be appreciated.

Dave Regis
Software Engineer
Intel Corp.

ced@apollo.HP.COM (Carl Davidson) (01/10/90)

From article <91@pldote.intel.com>, by dregis@pldote.intel.com (~Dave Regis):
> I am looking for a successful port of the Revision Control System (RCS)
> for Apollos.  I have the source, but the supplied rdiff (modified diff)
> memory faults causing 'ci' to fail.
>
> Any assistance in locating source would be appreciated.
>
> Dave Regis
> Software Engineer
> Intel Corp.

I don't know about the availability of source, but at SR10 and beyond
RCS & Co. are provided in the /usr/new directory as unsupported but
working software. The "rcsdiff" command there will probably solve your
problem.

Carl Davidson   (508)256-6600 x5967     | The secret of life is enjoying
Apollo Systems Divison, part of H-P     | the passing of time ...
UUCP: {decvax|mit-eddie}!apollo!ced     |
ARPA: ced@apollo.COM; ced@apollo.HP.COM |

gale@software.org (Charles Van Gale) (01/10/90)

The Apollo 'diff' and 'diff3' can be used with RCS (at least on SR10.1
and SR10.2).  Another option is to use the gnu diff.  We use the Apollo
diff here because, although the gnu diff has fewer bugs in general, the
gnu diff has one bug that has shown up here on one source file.

--
Van Gale
Software Productivity Consortium

dregis@pldote.intel.com (~Dave Regis) (01/11/90)

In article <2318@sunny.software.org> gale@software.org (Charles Van Gale) writes:
>The Apollo 'diff' and 'diff3' can be used with RCS (at least on SR10.1
>and SR10.2).  Another option is to use the gnu diff.  We use the Apollo
>diff here because, although the gnu diff has fewer bugs in general, the
>gnu diff has one bug that has shown up here on one source file.
>
>--
>Van Gale
>Software Productivity Consortium
>gale@software.org   sunny!gale@uunet.uu.net

Thanks, I managed to trace the bugs down with dbx; they seem to be caused
by the differences in the Apollo UNIX and the SUNOS 4.0.  Also, I had already
tried using the system diff, but it didn't support the '-n' option being
used by RCS.  Anyway, I think I have it all working now -- thanks again for
the response,

Dave Regis

aeherman@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (01/13/90)

/* Written 10:39 am  Jan 10, 1990 by dregis@pldote.intel.com in uxe.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.apollo */
In article <2318@sunny.software.org> gale@software.org (Charles Van Gale) writes:
>The Apollo 'diff' and 'diff3' can be used with RCS (at least on SR10.1
>and SR10.2).  Another option is to use the gnu diff.  We use the Apollo
>diff here because, although the gnu diff has fewer bugs in general, the
>gnu diff has one bug that has shown up here on one source file.
>
>--
>Van Gale
>Software Productivity Consortium
>gale@software.org   sunny!gale@uunet.uu.net

Thanks, I managed to trace the bugs down with dbx; they seem to be caused
by the differences in the Apollo UNIX and the SUNOS 4.0.  Also, I had already
tried using the system diff, but it didn't support the '-n' option being
used by RCS.  Anyway, I think I have it all working now -- thanks again for
the response,

Dave Regis
/* End of text from uxe.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.apollo */