[comp.sys.apollo] tftp

rtp1@tank.uchicago.edu (raymond thomas pierrehumbert) (01/11/90)

This ought to be simple, but I can't find the answer in the
documentation.  I need to activate tftp.  What line should
I put in the inetd.conf file?  Is it a tcp or udp service?
What is udp anyway?  Is it stream, or dgram, or do I get
to choose?  Is this sort of thing documented anywhere?

dbfunk@ICAEN.UIOWA.EDU (David B Funk) (01/13/90)

In posting <7116@tank.uchicago.edu> rtp1@tank.uchicago.edu (raymond thomas pierrehumbert) writes:

> This ought to be simple, but I can't find the answer in the
> documentation.  I need to activate tftp.  What line should
> I put in the inetd.conf file?  Is it a tcp or udp service?
> What is udp anyway?  Is it stream, or dgram, or do I get
> to choose?  Is this sort of thing documented anywhere?

Under sr10.* there should be an example line in inetd.conf that looks like:

  # tftpd offers UDP_based file transfer services. (do not run tftpd as root!)
  #tftp		dgram	udp	wait	tftp	/etc/tftpd	tftpd

You should be able to just uncomment this line and fill in a valid user
ID to make it work. (Don't forget to kill & restart inetd after changing
its config file.) Note that the 5th field in the line is the user ID field,
this must be a valid user ID on your system. Do NOT use "root" for this
as the tftp utility does no user authentication unlike ftp. So choose some
safe user ID who will have read access to the necessary files that you want
them to be able to transfer. A vaild config line to let tftpd run as "user"
would look like:

tftp		dgram	udp	wait	user	/etc/tftpd	tftpd

tftp uses a datagram protocol called "udp". This is unlike ftp which uses
a stream protocol, "tcp". UDP - Internet User Datagram Protocol - is a
connectionless, simple, low overhead, but possibly unreliable protocol.
See the man page for "udp".