[comp.sys.apollo] Apollo administrator requirements

barriost@essex.UUCP (Tim Barrios) (01/17/90)

In article <90@blender.UUCP>, herb@blender.UUCP (Herb Peyerl) writes:
> 1) out of idle curiosity, how many nodes does each sys_admin at your
> site have to deal with?  Should I feel justified in being stressed
> out with 42 nodes at the present time?  Will I be near suicide when
> this figure approaches 80 nodes?

I would like to broaden this question to find out more about the number
and skill level required of Apollo administrators.
If everyone would like to send me their answers via mail, I will consolidate
them and post a summary (send to signature address below, don't use news address).

Here are the questions:

1. How many Apollo nodes does your site administer.

2. How many administrators are responsible for the Apollos.

3. How many support personnel are there that provide related services
   (eg, operator functions, backups, device installers/movers).

4. What is the background of your administrators (eg, degree level,
   Apollo experience, Unix experience, networking experience)?

5. How much (eg, none, some, most) administration is done by your users
   themselves (eg, do they have the root/sys_admin account on their node).

6. Do you think you have sufficient administrator resources to effectively
   administer your network.

7. Comments

for example, here are my answers:

1. 800
2. 8
3. 5
4. on average: BS, Apollo - 1 year, Unix - 1.5 years, networking - 1 year
5. none
6. no
7. I don't think there is a linear relationship between number of nodes and
   administrators but 8 administrators to 800 nodes is a bit low.  it also
   matters how transparent your users expect the 'system' to look.  ours
   expect the network to look like a very large, very fast mainframe.  it also
   depends a lot on the applications being used by your users.

--
Tim Barrios (barriost@gtephx)
UUCP: {ncar!noao!asuvax | uunet!zardoz!hrc | att}!gtephx!barriost