[comp.sys.apollo] install++ problem

robinb@merlin.bhpmrl.oz (Robin Brown) (01/08/90)

Has anybody seen the following error during compiler installation
using install++ under sr10.1.  It occurs when installing both ftn
and pascal and possibly others, however phigs installs perfectly!

RAI Install Tool V1.08  5 Dec 88
Installing //merlin
ERROR:For product apollo.pas: apollo.os version 10.0 was not found
RAI install has completed with errors
Please check the transcript pad for a description of the errors

Apollo suggested that I do the installation manually - not much fun.
If anybody knows why it happens or is aware of a work-around I'd very
much like to know.

Thanks,
Robin

--
     /\/\       Robin Brown (Mr), Computer Scientist
    / / /\      BHP Melbourne Research Laboratories

rwl@apcipdx (Rob Lucke) (01/11/90)

Robin,

  I have seen the problem you are experiencing. Here is an unofficial,
paraphrased explanation with my editorial comments in []s:

  Problem:  When installing the install tool says "Could not find
            apollo.os 10.0"

  Cause  :  The RAI tools did not "trust" the baseline file as it was
            writable [the file is "AA/baseline/baseline.nnnnnnnn"].
            Therefore, the tools checked the information on all
            dependant products in the baseline file against that in
            the release index to verify the validity of the baseline
            file.  Since all products depend on the OS, if the release
            index for the OS could not be found, the above error was
            logged.

            later.

You need to find the latest version of the install tools that you can locate,
I don't have the proper version numbers handy, but I usually took the latest
product release tape I could find and restored from that.  You don't say what
version of DOMAIN OS you are actually running, so I cannot offer much more
advice.

Disclaimer: I speak for myself only.
--
Rob Lucke (503)682-8288\  /   hpupora!apcipdx!rwl    \  /
Hewlett-Packard (sales) \/tektronix!mntgfx!apcipdx!rwl\/ Memory fault.

dbfunk@ICAEN.UIOWA.EDU (David B Funk) (01/13/90)

In posting <1371@merlin.bhpmrl.oz> robinb%merlin.bhpmrl.oz.au@uunet.uu.net Robbin Brown writes:

> Has anybody seen the following error during compiler installation
> using install++ under sr10.1.  It occurs when installing both ftn
> and pascal and possibly others, however phigs installs perfectly!
>
> RAI Install Tool V1.08  5 Dec 88
> Installing //merlin
> ERROR:For product apollo.pas: apollo.os version 10.0 was not found
> RAI install has completed with errors
> Please check the transcript pad for a description of the errors

   Yes, I've seen that error during compiler installs. The problem is that
install++ wants to see the release index file for your OS to check out
the revisions of the system libraries. This can fail if your compiler
AA is not the same as your OS AA. You can work around this by creating
a link in your compiler AA that points to the OS AA.
    For example: suppose that you are running sr10.1, the OS AA is on //george,
and your compiler AAs are on //mike. (IE "ri.apollo.os.v.10.1" is in
"//george/install" and "ri.apollo.pas.v.8.7.m" is in "//mike/install")
The workaround is to create a link called "ri.apollo.os.v.10.1" in
//mike/install that points to "//george/install/ri.apollo.os.v.10.1".
EG:
$ /com/crl //mike/install/ri.apollo.os.v.10.1 //george/install/ri.apollo.os.v.10.1

    If you no longer have your OS AA around, you don't need to panic, all
you need to do is to restore the OS release index file from the distribution
tape. (IE all you really need is "/install/ri.apollo.os.v.10.1/ri.apollo.os.v.10.1"
not the whole OS AA for the compiler installs.)

Dave Funk

rtp1@tank.uchicago.edu (raymond thomas pierrehumbert) (01/17/90)

n Brown writes:

> Has anybody seen the following error during compiler installation
> using install++ under sr10.1.  It occurs when installing both ftn
> and pascal and possibly others, however phigs installs perfectly!
>
> RAI Install Tool V1.08  5 Dec 88
> Installing //merlin
> ERROR:For product apollo.pas: apollo.os version 10.0 was not found
> RAI install has completed with errors
> Please check tsd  dscription of the errors
I had exactly the same problem as Robbin Brown when I tried to
install Fortran 10.7 today, except that the complaint was that
"os 10.2 not found" instead of 10.0.  (odd, since I'm running
10.1).  I deleted my original AA to save disk space, which is
probably the problem.  How do I pull just the release index off
tape? Do I use rbak, or distaa, or what?  What rbak command
line will pull off a single file?  Also, the install++ complains
that syslib wasn't found either, which is probably a related problem.
Does anybody know what release index I need to pull off for this?
By the way, this is NOT a problem that is fixed in 10.1.  I am
running 10.1, and using the latest version of the installation
tools pulled of the fortran 10.7p distribution tape.  It seems that
this all represents a serious bug in the installation procedure,
particularly since the Apollo documentation explicitly says you
can delete your AA after you are done, if you want.  And what
if the OS was installed from an AA on a different machine than
the compiler AA?  With lots of distributed AA's you'd need links
flying all over the place.
    This one really cries out for some fixing