[comp.sys.apollo] Configure scripts under SR10....

ianh@merlin.bhpmrl.oz (Ian Hoyle) (01/15/90)

Does anyone have any nice quick hacks to get the "Configure" scripts that come
with much of the software in comp.sources.unix etc working??

/lib/clib isn't in ar format and Configure simply breaks.

I guess I _could_ use nm and then do something with sed on the output,
but it'd surely be messy :-(

			ian

--

                Ian Hoyle
     /\/\       Computer Systems Superintendent

lwk@CAEN.ENGIN.UMICH.EDU (Woody Kellum) (01/17/90)

	 Does anyone have any nice quick hacks to get the "Configure" scripts that come
	 with much of the software in comp.sources.unix etc working??

	 /lib/clib isn't in ar format and Configure simply breaks.
I changed ar command to /com/bind -map .

		- Woody Kellum
		lwk@caen.engin.umich.edu

dennis@ (Dennis Cottel) (01/17/90)

ianh@merlin.bhpmrl.oz (Ian Hoyle) writes:
> Does anyone have any nice quick hacks to get the "Configure" scripts that come
> with much of the software in comp.sources.unix etc working??
> /lib/clib isn't in ar format and Configure simply breaks.

More recent versions of Configure seem to work fine: Perl 3, for instance.
If you can't find a copy of the software distributed with a newer version,
maybe you can steal the code from a newer copy of Configure for your older
software kit.

	Dennis Cottel  Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA  92152
	(619) 553-1645      dennis@nosc.MIL      sdcsvax!noscvax!dennis

kcantrel@digi.UUCP (Keith Cantrell) (01/17/90)

If this is a repost, sorry, but it appeared as though our USENET feed failed
to accept the first attempt.  kgc

In article <1383@merlin.bhpmrl.oz> ianh@merlin.bhpmrl.oz (Ian Hoyle) writes:
>Does anyone have any nice quick hacks to get the "Configure" scripts that come
>with much of the software in comp.sources.unix etc working??
>
>/lib/clib isn't in ar format and Configure simply breaks.
>
>I guess I _could_ use nm and then do something with sed on the output,
>but it'd surely be messy :-(
>
>			ian

A while back (like in a year or two ago) somebody posted a game call 'warp'
that modified the Configure script to handle Apollo's.  I applied these
changes to the Configure that came with 'rn'.  Here is all I had to do:
*** Configure.org	Wed Jul 12 10:14:52 1989
--- Configure	Wed Jul 12 10:59:50 1989
***************
*** 260,266 ****
  else
      echo " "
      echo "The archiver doesn't think $libc is a reasonable library."
!     exit 1
  fi

  : make some quick guesses about what we are up against
--- 260,272 ----
  else
      echo " "
      echo "The archiver doesn't think $libc is a reasonable library."
!     echo "Trying nm instead..."
!     if nm -g $libc > libc.list; then
! 	echo "Done.  Maybe this is Unicos, or an Apollo?"
!     else
! 	echo "That didn't work either.  Giving up."
! 	exit 1
!     fi
  fi

  : make some quick guesses about what we are up against

Hope this helps

Keith Cantrell                    Phones:  hm: 214-492-1088
Apollo Computer                            wk: 214-519-2399 @ DSC
A Subsidiary of Hewlett-Packard
USMAIL:                          EMAIL:
2100 Sonata Ln                   cantrell@attctc.DALLAS.TX.US
Carrollton TX 75007                           or
                                   ...!attctc!digi!kcantrel

bremner@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (David Bremner) (01/18/90)

I have not completely solved this problem; however, I have a few points of data.

1) The Configure script that comes with perl uses nm if neccesary
2) The scripts don't seem to to anything with the output but search the output,
so probably no hacking with sed is neccesary
3) The runtime routines seem to be split between /lib/clib and /lib/libc ( Correct me
if I'm wrong ), so in order to make these scripts work properly you probably have to
add the names from both of these libraries to the appropriate file.

in order of preference.
USENET: bremner@ksi.cpsc.ucalgary.ca
BITNET: Bremner@UNCA-MULTICS.BITNET