[comp.sys.apollo] install++ problem -- Pass 2

dbfunk@ICAEN.UIOWA.EDU (David B Funk) (01/18/90)

In posting <7240@tank.uchicago.edu> rtp1%tank.uucp@handies.ucar.edu  (raymond thomas pierrehumbert) writes:

[stuff deleted]
> > RAI Install Tool V1.08  5 Dec 88
> > Installing //merlin
> > ERROR:For product apollo.pas: apollo.os version 10.0 was not found
> > RAI install has completed with errors
> > Please check tsd  dscription of the errors
> I had exactly the same problem as Robbin Brown when I tried to
> install Fortran 10.7 today, except that the complaint was that
> "os 10.2 not found" instead of 10.0.  (odd, since I'm running
> 10.1).  I deleted my original AA to save disk space, which is
> probably the problem.  How do I pull just the release index off
> tape? Do I use rbak, or distaa, or what?  What rbak command
> line will pull off a single file?  Also, the install++ complains
> that syslib wasn't found either, which is probably a related problem.
> Does anybody know what release index I need to pull off for this?

Yes, "rbak" can easily be instructed to read a single file off of a tape.
However because of the way that the RAI kits are structured, you don't
have to worry about that. The release index file is the only file that is
in the second backup "file" on the first OS tape. So if you restore everything
that is in that backup "file" you'll have what you need. So, set your
directory to the "/" level of your AA node and give the rbak command:

$ wd //aa_node
( or "cd //aa_node" or what ever your shell's change directory command is)
$ rbak -dev ct -f 2 -all -l
(assuming that you have cartridge tapes, use "-dev m" if mag tapes)

Note that by "first OS tape" I am refering not to the "boot" tape but
to the tape that says "CRTG_STD_SFW_1". Also you must be logged into
the node with the tape drive, but have your working directory set to the
"/" level of your AA node. This can be the AA where the compilers are
or your original OS AA that you then will link to from your compiler AA.

> By the way, this is NOT a problem that is fixed in 10.1.  I am
> running 10.1, and using the latest version of the installation
> tools pulled of the fortran 10.7p distribution tape.  It seems that
> this all represents a serious bug in the installation procedure,
> particularly since the Apollo documentation explicitly says you
> can delete your AA after you are done, if you want.  And what
> if the OS was installed from an AA on a different machine than
> the compiler AA?  With lots of distributed AA's you'd need links
> flying all over the place.
>     This one really cries out for some fixing

Yes, this is a bit of a pain, but you were warned. On the front page of
the sr10.1 release notes was an underlined sentence that said:

  "Please read all of Chaper 7 before installing SR10.1"

If you look at the index for Chaper 7 you'll see an item:

  "7.7.11  Removing the AA /install Directory............  7-19"

This is the section that says you can delete your AA after you are done,
if you want. However it also says a few other things:

   After completing installation of the SR10.1 version of Domain/OS, you
   may decide to delete the install directory within your AA to recover
   disk space. ... [stuff deleted]

   If you do decide to take this step, first make a copy of the Domain/OS
   release index file.  This file is located at ... [stuff deleted]

   You must preserve this file in order to be able to install optional
   products on SR10.1 nodes.  The AA holding the optional product(s) must
   contain a Domain/OS release index in ... [stuff deleted]

   Note that if you don't save the release index file somewhere on your
   system, you must restore it from file #2 of the standard software
   release media in order to install optional software products on SR10.1
   nodes.

This same information is in the sr10.0 and sr10.1p release notes but
with different chaper, section, & page numbers. It is NOT in the sr10.2
release notes. Maybe this means that this restriction is removed at sr10.2.

Dave Funk