[comp.sys.apollo] SR9.7 TCP/IP gateways

lori@hacgate.scg.hac.com (Lori Barfield + 1/2) (02/03/90)

In article <9002020818.AA00124@icaen.uiowa.edu> dbfunk@ICAEN.UIOWA.EDU (David B Funk) writes:
> [his clairvoyance daemon obviously down at the time]
>                                                Please state the
>software revisions. It makes it a lot easier to try to help you.

OK, Dave, I wanted to keep it a secret, but since you're forcing the
truth out of me...we're still on...SR9.7.  <collective Netland gasp here>

I've noticed that TCP/IP vagaries don't seem to come up with the SR10
JLRU nodes.  (Of course, there's always the possibility that you
hotshot SR10 admins are just more Unix-wise....)

I caught David Krowitz's followup--  what are the SR9 quirks?
And, BTW, SR9 does have ping.  I just haven't been exercising it thoroughly
because I didn't understand the diagnostic process well enough until
his post.

Thanks to both of you.

...lori

tpfabian@nasamail.nasa.gov (THEODORE FABIAN) (02/03/90)

Lori,

don't be ashamed to be at 9.7.. we're still at 9.7 too.. and we've got
the same (?) problem in routing TCP/IP.. our setup is as follows:

  net A ----------------
                    \
                     gateway node 1 --|

                                      |net D
   net B ----------------             |
                     \gateway node 2 -|

   net C -----------------            |
                     \gateway node 3 -|

nodes on net A can communicate with other nodes on net A using TCP/IP..
and also to the gateway node 1.. but not to any other node on either
net B, net C, or net D..

but any node on net A can reach any node on any net using normal DOMAIN
routing and the router service network definitions in the gateway nodes..

similarly, nodes on net B (or C) cannot reach the other nets via TCP/IP...

I've tried using the ROUTE statements, but they don't seem to work under
AEGIS 9.7... or so I've been told by an Apollo technician...

I've tried using subnet masks, but because our overall network does not
rely on subnetting, none of the systems on net D (including non Apollo
systems) will recognize any Apollo node on either net A, B, or C..

clearly, the gateway functions are not functional...

I'm open to ideas...

*  Thanks,                                                    *
*      Ted Fabian            NASA Lewis Research Center       *
*                               Cleveland, Ohio               *
*      phone:     216-433-6307  FTS 297-6307   |  disclaimer: *
*      email:     tpfabian@nasamail.nasa.gov   |  my opinions *
*                 tfabian@earth.lerc.nasa.gov  |  are my own  *