[comp.sys.apollo] Mentor Graphics Mspice.020 server running 10.1/7.0

bonnetf@apo.esiee.fr (bonnet-franck) (02/06/90)

hello,

We have observed a strange problem using the MSPICE.020
server from MENTOR GRAPHICS software.

We run AEGIS and BSD4.3 10.1 version.
Mentor 7.0 version.
MSPICE V7.0_1.11  version.

The following appends :
When the server starts, it takes about 20 Mb on the disk !!!

I precise that previously we ran 9.7/6.1  and it was working
perfectly ( with 4 diskless for a disk ).

Is there a workaround to reduce the size of the virtual
memory that SPICE.020 allows ?

Is it a BUG or a FEATURE ?
Does anybody has encountered or heard about that problem ?

Mentor Graphics France was not able to answer a word about it !!!

Our biggest problem is that we are very short in disk space,
as you can understand and we are short in money too...

Thanx.

-- Frank

bonnetf@apo.esiee.fr

chen@digital.sps.mot.com (Jinfu Chen) (02/07/90)

In article <9002051626.AA19693@apo.esiee.fr> bonnetf@apo.esiee.fr (bonnet-franck) writes:

>We have observed a strange problem using the MSPICE.020
>server from MENTOR GRAPHICS software.
>
>We run AEGIS and BSD4.3 10.1 version.
>Mentor 7.0 version.
>MSPICE V7.0_1.11  version.
>
>The following appends :
>When the server starts, it takes about 20 Mb on the disk !!!

The actual figure is ~14+ Mb by spice.020, ~5 Mb by spice.mod, and
~11+ Mb by accusim.020.

>Is it a BUG or a FEATURE ?
>Does anybody has encountered or heard about that problem ?

Call it a feature, I guess. Mentor USA blamed this to the SR10.x's
memory allocation scheme which allocates disk space before it uses,
(see "Making the Transition to SR10 Operating System Releases", p4-32)
while under pre-SR10 era no one knows if your allocated virtual
memory is guarranteed or not.

I'm not too familar with SPICE's internal memory allocation scheme,
however, Mentor's competitor's product, MetaSoft's HSPICE doesn't
take that much space I remember.

--
Jinfu Chen                  (602)898-5338      |       Disclaimer:
Motorola, Inc.  Logic IC Div., Mesa, AZ        |