[comp.sys.apollo] Apollo Termcap Question

macomber@thoreau.nsc.com (Robert Macomber) (02/03/90)

Hi Apollo Gurus -

	Do anybody out there know how to switch a Display Manager
	shell window back and forth between the normal mode and the
	vt100 mode; like when you run "vi" inside a shell window.  We
	have a bunch of users that are firing up vt100 and telnet'ing
	out to other machines.  It seems a shame that they have to give
	up the option of scrolling around in the PAD to gain remote
	editing.

	I guess what I'm looking for (if it exists) are some escape
	sequences similar to those available for xterm that I could plug
	into the termcap database on some of these "external"
	machines.  In the termcap entry for xterm there are two strings
	"ti" and "te" that seem to do this sort of thing for xterm.

	If it matters, we're running DomainOS 9.7.1 with the old 9.5
	BSD4.2 and most of the external machines are BSD4.x based.

	Thanks in advance.
--
			Robert L. Macomber
 		      National Semiconductor

weber_w@apollo.HP.COM (Walt Weber) (02/05/90)

In article <30@thoreau.nsc.com> macomber@thoreau.nsc.com (Robert Macomber) writes:
>	Do anybody out there know how to switch a Display Manager
>	shell window back and forth between the normal mode and the
>	vt100 mode; like when you run "vi" inside a shell window.

Robert -

Unfortunately, there is no method available for permitting the vt100
emulator to support a "scroll-back" facility as is available in the
display manager transcript pad.  Since your article mentions xterm, I
will assume that you have it available for your users, and would encourage
you to base a solution on replacing vt100 with xterm for your users.

...walt...
Walt Weber               Hewlett Packard NARC @ Apollo Systems Division
-The views expressed herein are personal, and not binding on ANYONE-
   "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism
    by those who have not got it" -George Bernard Shaw

kgallagh@digi.UUCP (Kevin Gallagher) (02/08/90)

In article <4876bedd.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> weber_w@apollo.HP.COM (Walt Weber)
writes:

>Unfortunately, there is no method available for permitting the vt100
>emulator to support a "scroll-back" facility as is available in the
>display manager transcript pad.  Since your article mentions xterm, I
>will assume that you have it available for your users, and would encourage
>you to base a solution on replacing vt100 with xterm for your users.

Actually, there IS a method of "scroll-back"; well, sort of.  While in the
vt100 emulator, SHIFT-F8 is a toggle which enables/disables the echoing of all
vt100 window contents, which have SCROLLED OFF THE TOP OF THE WINDOW, into a
carbon copy pad.  If you want to look at anything that scrolls off the top of
the vt100 window after you have entered SHIFT-F8, just press the CMD key and
enter cc at the DM command prompt.  The carbon copy pad will appear and you
can scroll back and forth as you like.

Information erased from the vt100 window by clearing the screen, is NOT
entered into the carbon copy window because it did not SCROLL out the top of
the window.  Otherwise, the feature is quite useful.  This works with the
vt100 emulator supplied with 10.1 and later.  I am not sure about 9.7, but I
suspect it works there, as well.

Kevin Gallagher    attctc!digi!kgallagh or attctc.dallas.tx.us!digi!kgallagh