[comp.sys.apollo] Help needed with shared libs & ld

jnp@mjolner.tele.nokia.fi (J|rgen N|rgaard) (02/06/90)

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to use shared libraries (that can be
inlib'ed in csh). After a small fight with the somewhat vague/
unprecise documentation I succeded in having 2 small files used
as shared libraries.  (I'm still at SR10.1)

Next step was to combine them into one file. Call the two files ext.o ext2.o.

then a file was produced like:

	ld -r -o dd -A allmarks -A loadhigh -A alllooks ext.o ext2.o

but when inlib'ed I got the error-message:
	"dd - object module requires link step (process manager/loader)"
which doesn't make sense to me (just linked it :-) . And to my best knowledge
not described in the documentation.

Any ideas what is wrong / how it should be done ?

All help appreciated !

(If Apollo is listening: the documentation lacks a complete list of error
 messages also in other cases than this (rgyd, rgy_admin, uctnode to mention
 a few))

--
------------------------ ORIGIN  '~jnp/stdDisclaimers' ------------------------
| Regards, J|rgen N|rgaard ('|' is '\o{}' in \LaTeX{})                        |

vasta@apollo.HP.COM (John Vasta) (02/08/90)

In article <JNP.90Feb6160557@mjolner.tele.nokia.fi> jnp@mjolner.tele.nokia.fi (J|rgen N|rgaard) writes:

>Hello,
>
>I'm trying to figure out how to use shared libraries (that can be
>inlib'ed in csh). After a small fight with the somewhat vague/
>unprecise documentation I succeded in having 2 small files used
>as shared libraries.  (I'm still at SR10.1)
>
>Next step was to combine them into one file. Call the two files ext.o ext2.o.
>
>then a file was produced like:
>
>	ld -r -o dd -A allmarks -A loadhigh -A alllooks ext.o ext2.o
>
>but when inlib'ed I got the error-message:
>	"dd - object module requires link step (process manager/loader)"
>which doesn't make sense to me (just linked it :-) . And to my best knowledge
>not described in the documentation.
>
>Any ideas what is wrong / how it should be done ?

You need to also specify the -a switch to ld; it causes the unitialized
data segment (.bss) to be allocated.

John Vasta                Hewlett-Packard Apollo Systems Division
vasta@apollo.hp.com       M.S. CHA-01-LT
(508) 256-6600 x6362      300 Apollo Drive, Chelmsford, MA 01824
UUCP: {decwrl!decvax, mit-eddie, attunix}!apollo!vasta