[comp.sys.apollo] JLRU

bonnetf@apo.esiee.fr (bonnet-franck) (02/07/90)

First I would like to thank everybody for fast awnsering about
MSPICE Mentor Graphics server running in 10.1.
( I am beginner in world-wide network practice. )

Now a new question.
Could somebody explain in detail what is JLRU ?

I guess it is a UNIX method to allocate virtual memory,but I would like to
know more precisly the mechanisms and principes.
Is there a book talking about it ?

Thanks.

Frank Bonnet
bonnetf@apo.esiee.fr
E.S.I.E.E
(Ecole Superieure d'Ingenieurs en Electrotechnique et Electronique)
FRANCE

krowitz%richter@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (David Krowitz) (02/07/90)

JLRU is "Just Like *Real* Unix". Unix systems require that the disk
space for a program's virtual memory be allocated immediately when
the program is started rather than being allocated only as it is
first accessed by the program. Unix does this to make certain that
a program doesn't die in the middle of its execution due to a lack
of disk space. Either the program will refuse to start, or it will
grab the maximum amount of disk space it could use and then start
and run to completion.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

lori@hacgate.scg.hac.com (Lori Barfield + 7/9) (02/08/90)

In article <9002070833.AA02556@apo.esiee.fr> bonnetf@apo.esiee.fr (bonnet-franck) writes:
>Could somebody explain in detail what is JLRU ?

A poorly implemented subset of JLRA.

...lori  ;-)

franka@mentor.com (Frank A. Adrian) (02/08/90)

In article <9002071439.AA03945@richter.mit.edu> krowitz%richter@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (David Krowitz) writes:
>... Either the program will refuse to start, or it will
>grab the maximum amount of disk space it could use and then start
>and run to completion.

Actually, it grabs the amount of disk space necessary for the text
segment, the static data objects, and the stack.  Storage for dy-
namically allocated objects (via malloc, etc.) is allocated as
needed.  This doesn't help much for FORTRAN common blocks, though.
--

Frank A. Adrian
Mentor Graphics, Inc.