[comp.sys.apollo] C++ support

hj412fr@unidui.uni-duisburg.de (Frik) (02/03/90)

Now that C++ v2.0 is to be available pretty soon I would like
to know what libraries and additional support will be going
with it. Something like libg++, nihcl etc. Anybody got leads?

Martin Anantharaman

FB7, FG7 (Mechanik)                             Office:  +49 (203) 379-3061
Universitaet -GH- Duisburg                      Home:    +49 (203) 37 65 89
Lotharstr. 1                                    E-Mail: hj412fr@unidui.uucp
4100 Duisburg 1
West Germany

vasta@apollo.HP.COM (John Vasta) (02/08/90)

In article <9002021752.AA01917@unidui.uni-duisburg.de> hj412fr@unidui.uni-duisburg.de (Frik) writes:
>Now that C++ v2.0 is to be available pretty soon I would like
>to know what libraries and additional support will be going
>with it. Something like libg++, nihcl etc. Anybody got leads?

C++ 2.0.0 will contain the same libraries found on the AT&T release
tape, except for the task library (that is, it will include the stream I/O
library, the old stream I/O library, the complex math library, and the
"demangler" library). In addition, we plan on making some of the public domain
C++ libraries available through the ADUS group. I can't promise exactly
which ones will be there, but probably at least InterViews and the NIH
class library.

John Vasta                Hewlett-Packard Apollo Systems Division
vasta@apollo.hp.com       M.S. CHA-01-LT
(508) 256-6600 x6362      300 Apollo Drive, Chelmsford, MA 01824
UUCP: {decwrl!decvax, mit-eddie, attunix}!apollo!vasta

weiner@novavax.UUCP (Bob Weiner) (02/10/90)

In article <48823050.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> vasta@apollo.HP.COM (John Vasta) writes:

   C++ 2.0.0 will contain the same libraries found on the AT&T release
   tape, except for the task library

Which to many is one of the more useful libraries.

   (that is, it will include the stream I/O library, the old stream I/O
   library, the complex math library, and the "demangler" library). In
   addition, we plan on making some of the public domain C++ libraries
   available through the ADUS group. I can't promise exactly which ones
   will be there, but probably at least InterViews and the NIH class
   library.

John, your a great net resource but I have to say something to the
Apollo / HP corporate entity on this matter.  Please quit jerking the
user base around by refusing to ship unsupported software on release
tapes.  An infitesimal number of corporate users of your computers
actively follow or request code from ADUS, thus this is the number you
will reach.  Practically, 100% of the C++ users could benefit from
distribution of this code, however.  (Can you say, "added value"?)

Just label a #$%^&!@# directory as 'unsupported' and dump the most
recent versions along with documentation in there.  Your customers will
clap and you will have a simple means of explaining that the software is
shipped 'as is'.

The /domain_examples directory is a good example of this except that the
regular Apollo documentation does not point you to it and the
documentation included below the directory is minimal at best.

I have wanted Apollo to configure and distribute GNU Emacs for the
longest time but to no avail.  The DM editor is lacking in an immense
number of ways and this one software package would fix them all and
again make your customers happy.  But alas, sitting on one's corporate
buns on such matters is much simpler.  (HP did give $100,000 to the Free
Software Foundation and HP-Labs did develop their own X window-based
version of GNU Emacs but most Apollo users I know have never even heard
of it.)

Here's to change in the 90's.
--
Bob Weiner, Motorola, Inc.,   USENET:  ...!gatech!uflorida!novavax!weiner
(407) 364-2087