[comp.sys.apollo] Problem compiling C-Kermit

lau@kings.wharton.upenn.edu (Yan K. Lau) (02/08/90)

I got the sources for ckermit from watsun.cc.columbia.edu.  However, I ran
into a snag when compiling the version for the Apollo.  I said "make bsd"
(in a Unix shell) and everything was fine until:

cc -DBSD4 -DDEBUG -DTLOG -c ckutio.c
ckutio.c: 341: Can't find include file default_acl.h
*** Exit 1

Stop.

ckutio.c has the following:

#ifdef aegis
#include "/sys/ins/base.ins.c"
#include "/sys/ins/error.ins.c"
#include "/sys/ins/ios.ins.c"
#include "/sys/ins/sio.ins.c"
#include "/sys/ins/pad.ins.c"
#include "/sys/ins/time.ins.c"
#include "/sys/ins/pfm.ins.c"
#include "/sys/ins/pgm.ins.c"
#include "/sys/ins/ec2.ins.c"
#include "/sys/ins/type_uids.ins.c"
#include <default_acl.h>
#undef TIOCEXCL
#undef FIONREAD
#endif

But, I can't find default_acl.h anywhere and I have a complete installation
on the Apollos (Aegis SR10.1, bsd 4.3, sys5.3).  How do I fix this problem?
Thanks for reading.

Yan.
   )~  Yan K. Lau    lau@kings.wharton.upenn.edu      The Wharton School
 ~/~   -Sheenaphile-          128.91.11.233       University of Pennsylvania
 /\    Darker grows the moon  And shadows steal across the prison of my room

kerr@tron.UUCP (Dave Kerr) (02/10/90)

In article <20073@netnews.upenn.edu> lau@kings.wharton.upenn.edu (Yan K. Lau) writes:
>I got the sources for ckermit from watsun.cc.columbia.edu.  However, I ran
>into a snag when compiling the version for the Apollo.  I said "make bsd"
>(in a Unix shell) and everything was fine until:
>
>cc -DBSD4 -DDEBUG -DTLOG -c ckutio.c
>ckutio.c: 341: Can't find include file default_acl.h
>*** Exit 1
>

>Yan.
>   )~  Yan K. Lau    lau@kings.wharton.upenn.edu      The Wharton School
> ~/~   -Sheenaphile-          128.91.11.233       University of Pennsylvania
> /\    Darker grows the moon  And shadows steal across the prison of my room

I got this from a prior posting on usenet. These changes
worked for us at sr10.1:

  I asked earlier about making C-Kermit work under SR10 on an Apollo.  I
  now have the answer, thanks to our local Apollo representative.
  Although the silence following my query was deafening---suggesting
  that no one on this list uses Apollos---I will now report the fix.

  The problem is basically this: The C-kermit code is full of special
  code to handle Apollos.  All this code turns out to be unnecessary
  (and indeed harmful) when running under SR10, since the operating
  system is now much more Unixlike.  Unfortunately, even the C compiler
  provided with the 4.3BSD environment of SR10 defines the preprocessor
  symbol aegis, thereby activating the unwanted code.  I fixed this by
  inserting a new item in the makefile, looking like this:

  #Apollos running SR10.0 or later:
  sr10-bsd:
	  make wermit "CFLAGS= -DBSD4 -DDEBUG -DTLOG -Uaegis"

  I also needed to add one line to ckcmai.c (anywhere near the beginning):

  #undef apollo

  and then the program compiled like a charm.

  I also discovered that you must use /dev/tty??, not /dev/sio? as the
  latter access the serial lines at a lower level than is standard on
  Unix systems.

  - Harald Hanche-Olsen   Division of Mathematical Sciences
    hanche@imf.unit.no    The Norwegian Institute of Technology

--
Dave Kerr (301) 765-4453 (WIN)765-4453
tron::kerr                 Internal WEC vax mail