[comp.sys.apollo] Help needed in installing rrn and nntp.

xxcomtn@kestrel.lerc.nasa.gov (Gary Stewart) (02/03/90)

Greetings! I've been attempting to build rrn and nntp for an Apollo 3000
and I've been running in problems. Does anyone has this available or know
of where I can get the needed files for version 9 & 10 of the OS. I have
completed installation of rrn and nntp for both the Sun and Iris platform.
I would also like to have rrn and nntp available for our Apollo users. We
are running C-News on a Sun server.

Thanks in advance!

Gary Stewart (xxcomtn@kestrel.lerc.nasa.gov)
             (xxcomtn@128.156.1.45)
sig test

inst182@tuvie (Inst.f.Techn.Informatik) (02/11/90)

In article <1990Feb2.212404.28157@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> xxcomtn@kestrel.lerc.nasa.gov (Gary Stewart) writes:

>Greetings! I've been attempting to build rrn and nntp for an Apollo 3000
>and I've been running in problems. Does anyone has this available or know
>of where I can get the needed files for version 9 & 10 of the OS. I have
>completed installation of rrn and nntp for both the Sun and Iris platform.
>I would also like to have rrn and nntp available for our Apollo users. We
>are running C-News on a Sun server.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Gary Stewart (xxcomtn@kestrel.lerc.nasa.gov)
>             (xxcomtn@128.156.1.45)

We got both rrn and nntp running on our net, so it should not be to
difficult. I used a vanilla rrn/nntp version, but I had to use a few
tricks to make them compile:

We got both rrn and nntp running on our net, so it should not be to
difficult. I used a vanilla rrn/nntp version, but I had to use a few
tricks to make them compile:

1.) switch to the berkeley universe
2.) compile the nntp stuff, there should not be any problems
        (at least, I cannot remember them)
3.) Compiling the rrn is abit tricky, because larry's Configure
    script tries to search the C library to look which functions exist.
    The bsd variety of DomainOS however does not any. The sys5 version
    however does have one, which serves as glue between the bsd and sys5
    calls. I just specified the sys5 libc.a and it compiled fine.

				bye,
					mike
      /   / / / /   Michael K. Gschwind             mike@vlsivie.at
     /   / / / /    Institute for VLSI-Design       mike@vlsivie.uucp
     ---/           Technical University, Vienna
       /
   ___/