[comp.sys.apollo] OSF/Motif product availability

leea@ssc-vax.UUCP (Lee Carver) (02/10/90)

I don't mean to restart religous wars, but I recall a note a few
weeks (months?) back on the availability of OSF/Motif on Apollo.  I
didn't keep a copy, and now need the information.

I believe the note said that Open Dialogue will provide access to
Motif, but Motif will be a separate product.  We need to be able to
develop Motif based software on the Apollos, and are trying to
determine which/what kink/how many software development kits to buy.

If anybody remembers the topic, or can send me the original (posted
by Oliver Jones?), I'll greatly apprieciate it.

TAI.

oj@apollo.HP.COM (Ellis Oliver Jones) (02/15/90)

In article <3172@ssc-vax.UUCP> leea@ssc-vax.UUCP (Lee Carver) writes:
>... I recall a note...on the availability of OSF/Motif on Apollo.  I
>didn't keep a copy, and now need the information.

An OSF/Motif(tm) V1.0 kit is available for Apollo workstations.  It contains
a Motif developer's kit, including the widgets and the corresponding
batch of Xt intrinsics.  It includes a few examples and the Motif Window
Manager as well.  It's been shipping for a couple of months now, for both
Motorola M68k and Prism machines.  It provides shareable libraries containing
the widget and Xt intrinsics code.

The kit we shipped did not include the UIL or Mrm subsystems, because those
subsystems weren't working correctly on the 1.0 distribution we received from
OSF.  "Real soon now," they're talking about an update.   Isn't emerging technology
fun?   :-)  x-)

>I believe the note said that Open Dialogue will provide access to Motif ...

Not exactly.  Open Dialogue provides *another* (some say better :-) way
of developing user interfaces with Motif appearance and behavior.
In fact, the current version of Open Dialogue doesn't use any OSF-supplied
widget or Xt code at all.

>We need to be able to
>develop Motif based software on the Apollos, and are trying to
>determine which/what kink/how many software development kits to buy.

Open Dialogue and OSF/Motif are separate products.  OSF/Motif (as we shipped
it) is a toolkit in which the application program is responsible for creating
each user interface object, and establishing the appropriate callbacks, at
runtime.

Open Dialogue is an object-oriented User Interface Management System, in which
complex user interface appearance and behavior can be set up without
recourse to any application code.

Both OSF/Motif and Open Dialogue are portable, and both are available
in source form.  Contact other hardware vendors for information about
OSF/Motif availability.  Open Dialogue binaries are for sale running on
Apollo (I'm supposed to say "HP Domain" these days) and SunOS machines,
and we're targeted to put it on DEC and HP-UX machines.

* Choose OSF/Motif if your three most important goals are standards, standards,
  and standards.  (If you do choose OSF/Motif, it might be wise to buy the
  Apollo binaries and ALSO buy a source license from OSF;  you'll be able to
  control your destiny a little faster that way, by getting upgrades the
  same time we do.)

* Choose Open Dialogue if you're interested in object-oriented programming,
  or if you need a high-productivity development tool.

Does this help?

Ollie Jones (speaking for myself, not necessarily for HP Apollo Systems Division)