[comp.sys.apollo] troubles with security

inst182@tuvie (Inst.f.Techn.Informatik) (02/15/90)

We have a problem here:
How can we prevent people from shutting down the machine on the
command line of the display manager ?
This is especially troublesome, because there is no warning for
users logged in from normal vt100 terminals...

       ____  ____
      /   / / / /   Michael K. Gschwind             mike@vlsivie.at
     /   / / / /    Institute for VLSI-Design       mike@vlsivie.uucp
     ---/           Technical University, Vienna
       /
   ___/

lray@CIVILGATE.CE.UIUC.EDU (Leland Ray) (02/16/90)

>From: inst182%tuvie%mcsun%sunic%luth%eru.uucp@bloom-beacon.mit.edu  (Inst.f.Techn.Informatik)
>
>We have a problem here:
>How can we prevent people from shutting down the machine on the
>command line of the display manager ?
>This is especially troublesome, because there is no warning for
>users logged in from normal vt100 terminals...

In a word, you can't.

Here at the UI, we take the old world approach. We tell everyone
who needs to shut down machines how to check resources via llkob.
In other cases, /etc/shutdown runs quite nicely (I wish it would
throw a message on diskless partners, though).

Any person who is the victim of a node shutdown is given the
name and address of the person who caused them the trouble. We
seldom have repeat customers.

Just spendin' my days,                  Leland Ray
                                        Systems Administrator
  Soakin' in them cathode rays.         UIUC - Dept. Civil Engineering
                                        lray@civilgate.ce.uiuc.edu
                                        (217) 333-3821

krowitz%richter@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (David Krowitz) (02/16/90)

I just recently received a reply to an old APR regarding
safeguarding the "shut" and "ex" commands. According to the
reply, the system now looks for the file

/sys/node_data/dm_display/shut_lock

whenever you issue the DM commands "shut" or "ex". If you
have access rights to the file, then the system proceeds
with the shutdown. If the file does not exist, then the
system goes ahead with the shutdown. If no one is logged
in (ie. the DM command line says "plead login") and the
file exists, then the system refuses to shutdown until
you have logged in and reissued the command.

I have not tried any of this yet, as I just received the
reply this morning.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

krowitz%richter@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (David Krowitz) (02/16/90)

Well, having just put that last message on the net,
I'll have to issue a disclaimer ... I just had the
time to try out the instructions in the APR response
and wound up shutting down my node!

I tried creating a "shut_lock" file in `node_data/dm_display
and in /etc/dm_display (the former directory was the one
mentioned in the APR, but did not exist on my 10.2 system,
the latter was already existant), and neither file prevented
me from "ex"ing the node.

Anyone else had better luck with this?

inst182@tuvie (Inst.f.Techn.Informatik) (02/16/90)

In article <9002152207.AA19871@richter.mit.edu> krowitz%richter@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (David Krowitz) writes:
>I tried creating a "shut_lock" file in `node_data/dm_display
>and in /etc/dm_display (the former directory was the one
>mentioned in the APR, but did not exist on my 10.2 system,
>the latter was already existant), and neither file prevented
>me from "ex"ing the node.
>
>Anyone else had better luck with this?
>
> -- David Krowitz

What about the Apollo people answering this question? I've been told
that my predecessors tried to explain to the local Apollo guys that this
situation is not a desirable situation, however either they really did
not understand it or they did not like to understand the problem.

                                        bye,
						mike
       ____  ____
      /   / / / /   Michael K. Gschwind             mike@vlsivie.at
     /   / / / /    Institute for VLSI-Design       mike@vlsivie.uucp
     ---/           Technical University, Vienna
       /
   ___/

ccsmm@bath.ac.uk (Martin Maclaren) (02/18/90)

On the subject of security, I've had some hasstle with trying
to lock up the /sys/print/queue & /sys/print/spooler dirtectories
( at 9.7 ). The only protection that /com/prsvr seems to like
is at least world dwrx rights on initial files.

- Anyone had any luck with this one?

On the 'SHUT' and 'EX' fronts from DM, is it possible to
edit the dm binary in the appropriate places at SR 10.2?
It seems rather an extreme move.

Also, I just tried the following.....

# cat > s.c
main() { os_$shutdown(); }