[comp.sys.apollo] Logging out

ramu@tcipro.UUCP (Ramu Iyer) (02/15/90)

I am under SR10.2 running  X11. Is there a way to do the
following:

a) I find that I am not able to use % /com/xdmc lo
   to log out from an xterm.  What is the ``cleaner''
   way to log out from an xterm?

b) My .login puts the DM window manager to sleep. Even after
   this, when I login, a DM window comes up.  What is the
   best way to put DM to sleep forever?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--Ramu Iyer

Email: ramu%tcipro.uucp@unix.sri.com

weber_w@apollo.HP.COM (Walt Weber) (02/21/90)

In article <9002150309.AA26554@unix.sri.com> ramu@tcipro.UUCP (Ramu Iyer) writes:
>I am under SR10.2 running  X11. Is there a way to do the
>following:
>
>a) I find that I am not able to use % /com/xdmc lo
>   to log out from an xterm.  What is the ``cleaner''
>   way to log out from an xterm?

Use "dmwin xdmc lo", since the xdmc must be run "inside" a
display manager window.

>b) My .login puts the DM window manager to sleep. Even after
>   this, when I login, a DM window comes up.  What is the
>   best way to put DM to sleep forever?

When you login to the display through the display manager,
it will invoke /sys/dm/startup_login.{node_type}, where the
node type is 1280bw, or 1280color, or 19l.  In this file, there
is usually a command which looks like this:

	(0,300)dr;(700,700)cp /sys/dm/login_sh

This is there so that any user who logs in to that display will
have at least this one shell running.  Comment out the line, and
handle the rest of the work in the per-user file invoked by the
command

	cmdf user_data/startup_dm.{node_type}

>Email: ramu%tcipro.uucp@unix.sri.com

...walt...

Walt Weber               Hewlett Packard NARC @ Apollo Systems Division
-The views expressed herein are personal, and not binding on ANYONE-
   "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism
    by those who have not got it" -George Bernard Shaw