[comp.sys.apollo] Symbol tables

derstad@CIM-VAX.HONEYWELL.COM ("DAVE ERSTAD") (02/13/90)

I have an object code which is about 4.8 MB long, about 4.2MB of which is
the symbol table.  Most of the code was compiled under BSD, but some
is compiled under Aegis.  The final object is produced with the bind
command.

Supposedly, the BSD command "strip" should be able to remove the symbol
table entries from this object.  When I try, however, I get
a "strip: filename: relocation entries; cannot strip"

What does this mean and how do I work around it (or is there a better
solution?)  The file certainly has relocation entries, but I thought
that was one of the things strip was supposed to take care of.

Any solution which does not require me to do anything with the BSD
objects would be greatly appreciated.

Dave Erstad
DERSTAD@cim-vax.honeywell.com
Honeywell SSEC

BTW, Aegis 10.2, CC 6.7, DN3550

vasta@apollo.HP.COM (John Vasta) (02/24/90)

In article <9002201912.AA07570@umix.cc.umich.edu> derstad@CIM-VAX.HONEYWELL.COM ("DAVE ERSTAD") writes:

>I have an object code which is about 4.8 MB long, about 4.2MB of which is
>the symbol table.  Most of the code was compiled under BSD, but some
>is compiled under Aegis.  The final object is produced with the bind
>command.
>
>Supposedly, the BSD command "strip" should be able to remove the symbol
>table entries from this object.  When I try, however, I get
>a "strip: filename: relocation entries; cannot strip"

Bind leaves relocation info in the object; ld normally removes it.
You could use the sys5.3 version of "strip"; it has a -r option to
leave relocation info there but remove the debugging info. Look at
the sys5.3 version of the strip man page.

John Vasta                Hewlett-Packard Apollo Systems Division
vasta@apollo.hp.com       M.S. CHA-01-LT
(508) 256-6600 x6362      300 Apollo Drive, Chelmsford, MA 01824
UUCP: {decwrl!decvax, mit-eddie, attunix}!apollo!vasta