[comp.sys.apollo] Various hardware hackins with DN420

allon@eng.umd.edu (Allon Stern) (03/02/90)

I JUST managed to get a DN420 node working.  We had a DN420 with a faulty
power supply, and recently aquired one with a bad hard disk.  I took pieces
from here and there, and got one working node.

The question is, is it possible to use memory from the non-working node
as extra memory for the one that works?  Each of them have two memory
boards in slots 1 and 2, but slot 3 is empty.  Would it work if I took
a memory board and put it in slot 3?  Do any jumpers/switches need to be
set anywhere?

Also, with two displays, and two display-boards, would it be possible to
run two displays on one machine?  If so, what would this entail?

Thanks.

                             - -= Allon =- -

   This is a test of the emergency signature system.  Were this an actual
   signature, you would see amusing mottos, disclaimers, a zillion net
   addresses, or edifying philisophical statements.  This is only a test.

krowitz%richter@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (David Krowitz) (03/02/90)

By running the jumper program (in either /systest or /systest/ssr_util) you can
see the various jumper configurations for the memory boards. It appears that
you can have three boards in a DN420, although there are  3 different types of
memory boards that were manufactured for the machine. The boards would all
have to be of the same type. You can only run the node with a single display.
Apollo's OS does not support multiple displays.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

thallem@guille.ECE.ORST.EDU (Michael G. Lohmeyer) (03/04/90)

In article <9003021407.AA18053@richter.mit.edu> krowitz%richter@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (David Krowitz) writes:
>By running the jumper program (in either /systest or /systest/ssr_util) you can
>see the various jumper configurations for the memory boards. It appears that
>you can have three boards in a DN420, although there are  3 different types of
>memory boards that were manufactured for the machine. The boards would all
>have to be of the same type. You can only run the node with a single display.
>Apollo's OS does not support multiple displays.

     It is not necessary that the boards all be the same type, just
compatible.  I am running a DN420 with two of the standard DN420 memory
boards in it, but I also added an extra meg of ram by using a 2 meg
board out of a (unfortunately dead) DN660.  Yes, I said that I got only
an extra 1 Meg of ram from a 2 meg board meaning, of course, there
are problems with it.  The main point being that by using the jumper
program that David mentioned, I was able to set up the jumpers on the
2 Meg board so that the DN420 at least recognizes part of the memory.
The reason why the 420 only sees the first meg of ram is because of the
way the memory is addressed (starting addresses of main memory, etc).
The jumper program will give you most the information you need to know
about the boards.

Mike Lohmeyer				thallem@ece.orst.edu
Oregon State University			(503) 737-9264
Electrical & Computer Engineer Dept.

John_A_Pham@cup.portal.com (03/04/90)

Since my hard disk on the DN600 crashed, and I have no way of reformating using the monitor (MD).
But my DN420 is now in working order (thanks to M. Lohmeyer for his hints),
I wonder if I were disconnect the cable on the Priam hard disk board (DN600) and
install another 50 pins cable at location J1, then install the other end
to the Priam HD cntrl board at location J2 (DN420), then
reset my dead hard disk drive selection switch to 2......when this is done,
can I reformat drive 2?  Can Aegis/Domain v9.6 able to handle another hard
disk?

If you have any hints or tips, please send them to me
Thanks,
John

Ps...Is Priam 15450 SASI compatible?