[comp.sys.apollo] What device does tar use for cartridge tape?

csfst1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Charles S. Fuller) (03/08/90)

Could someone please supply the magic argument that will allow tar to
find my cartridge tape drive on either a DN4000 or a DN10000, both
running SR10.2 ??  I've tried every device in /dev that starts with
"r" (rct8, etc.), and a few others that don't even seem likely,
but cannot find one that will allow me to write a tar tape.  The
examples in TFM don't seem to have the answer ... I looked there
first.

Thanks in advance.
Chuck Fuller

krowitz%richter@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (David Krowitz) (03/08/90)

"tar -cvf /dev/rct8  <file list> "

should work just fine under SR10.2. /dev/rct8 rewinds the tape, /dev/rct12
does not rewind the tape. Under some circumstances, you may need to rewind
the drive before it is used. In this case use "rbak -dev ct -rewind" before
using "tar". You may also be able to use "mt -f /dev/rct8 rewind" to rewind
the drive from a Unix shell, but I haven't tried it out yet.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

beierl_c@apollo.HP.COM (Christopher Beierl) (03/08/90)

In article <22766@unix.cis.pitt.edu> csfst1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Charles S. Fuller) writes:

>Could someone please supply the magic argument that will allow tar to
>find my cartridge tape drive on either a DN4000 or a DN10000, both
>running SR10.2 ??  I've tried every device in /dev that starts with
>"r" (rct8, etc.), and a few others that don't even seem likely,
>but cannot find one that will allow me to write a tar tape.  The
>examples in TFM don't seem to have the answer ... I looked there
>first.

The appropriate devices should be /dev/rct8 (rewind at end) and /dev/rct12
(no rewind at end).  When accessing non-SCSI cartridge tape drives using
Unix tape utilities you must issue a tape rewind command after inserting
the tape (even if it is already physically rewound).  This can be accomp-
lished by either of the following commands:

    /usr/apollo/bin/mt -f /dev/rct8 rewind
            or
    /usr/apollo/bin/rbak -dev ct -rewind

If this is not done, you will get a "No such file or directory" error.

 Christopher T. Beierl  Internet: beierl_c@apollo.HP.COM;beierl_c@apollo.com
 Apollo Computer, Inc.      UUCP: {mit-eddie,yale,uw-beaver}!apollo!beierl_c
 A Subsidiary of Hewlett-Packard                       Phone: (508) 256-6600