[comp.sys.apollo] Help with anonymous FTP

snowden@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu (02/15/90)

I set up anonymous FTP by the book (Unix Sys Admin by Nemeth,Snyder & Seebass)
on a DN4500 (SR9.7, BSD 4.2 TCP/IP 3.1) and it does not work.  Remote users
get "550 Can't set guest privledge".  Also TELNET will allow an FTP login and
that's not right.  I suppose Aegis has something do do with this.  I would
appreciate any help.

dbfunk@ICAEN.UIOWA.EDU (David B Funk) (02/20/90)

In posting <7997.25da7d8e@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu>  snoden%ohstpy asks:

>I set up anonymous FTP by the book (Unix Sys Admin by Nemeth,Snyder & Seebass)
>on a DN4500 (SR9.7, BSD 4.2 TCP/IP 3.1) and it does not work.  Remote users
>get "550 Can't set guest privledge".  Also TELNET will allow an FTP login and
>that's not right.  I suppose Aegis has something do do with this.  I would
>appreciate any help.

The problem is that the BSD system call "chroot" is not implemented in
Aegis & Domain/OS. It is there but all attempts to use it just return
the error status EPERM (even for root). Somebody in Apollo explained
the problem as being caused by the fact that ".." of "/" is not "/".
When ftp sees the failure of "chroot" it emits the error "550". So for
the time being, anonymous ftp to an Apollo doesn't work. Does anybody
in Apollo know if there's going to be a change in this?

Dave Funk

kint@software.org (Rick Kint) (02/27/90)

In article <9002200307.AA00114@icaen.uiowa.edu> dbfunk@ICAEN.UIOWA.EDU (David B Funk) writes:
>In posting <7997.25da7d8e@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu>  snoden%ohstpy asks:
>
>>I set up anonymous FTP by the book (Unix Sys Admin by Nemeth,Snyder & Seebass)
>>on a DN4500 (SR9.7, BSD 4.2 TCP/IP 3.1) and it does not work.  Remote users
>>get "550 Can't set guest privledge".
>
>The problem is that the BSD system call "chroot" is not implemented in
>Aegis & Domain/OS. It is there but all attempts to use it just return
>the error status EPERM (even for root). Somebody in Apollo explained
>the problem as being caused by the fact that ".." of "/" is not "/".

	I ran into this problem too.  After trying every conceivable hack
with no success, I decided to check out the chroot call itself.  Using dbx
to disassemble the inlib'ed chroot code revealed that it is just a stub,
the guts of which I reproduce below:

    033a078c   MOVEQ.l     #1,d0
    033a078e   MOVEA.l     (-18.w,a5),a0
    033a0792   MOVE.l      d0,(a0)
    033a0794   MOVEQ.l     #-1,d0

	All this does is set errno to EPERM and return -1.  This was true
at SR9.7.0.3 and SR10.1.  The result?  A program which calls chroot will
compile successfully but will not run correctly.  Bah, humbug, feh.
--
Rick Kint
Software Productivity Consortium   INTERNET: kint@software.org

vince@bcsaic.UUCP (Vince Skahan) (03/01/90)

You folks sure seem to be making a lot of headaches for yourselves
getting a product that will never wrk into production.

Doesn't the SR10.x documentation and maybe help files rather clearly
state that anonymous FTP is not supported undmr Domain/OS ???

It never worked under SR9.7 as far as I recall...

Shouldn't a 2-minute help line call to HP/Apollo get the answer for you
once and for all ???

--
     Vince Skahan            Boeing Computer Services - Phila.
    (215) 591-4116           ARPA:  vince@atc.boeing.com

marmen@bcara128.bnr.ca (Rob Marmen 1532773) (03/08/90)

In article <21036@bcsaic.UUCP>, vince@bcsaic.UUCP (Vince Skahan) writes:
> You folks sure seem to be making a lot of headaches for yourselves
> getting a product that will never wrk into production.
>
> Doesn't the SR10.x documentation and maybe help files rather clearly
> state that anonymous FTP is not supported undmr Domain/OS ???

  Under sr10.1, man ftpd documents how anonymous ftp works. There is no
  disclaimer that it is not supported/implemented. However, the sr10.2
  man page has a disclaimer in it.

> Shouldn't a 2-minute help line call to HP/Apollo get the answer for you
> once and for all ???

  I also had a call into the hotline. When I received a call back, I knew
  more about FTP than the Apollo rep. THIS SCARES ME!

  BTW, our HP account rep also 'accidentally' discovered that anonymous
  ftp did not work. This raised a few eyebrows over at HP as well.

  This is not the first time that we have tripped over undocumented bugs.
  It's just very frustrating to have a machine which is supposedly JLRU,
  not support tools which are commonly available on other platforms and
  also has documentation which is misleading.

  Enough flaming for now. It's time I slid back under the murky waters from
  whence I came ;-)

cheers
rob...
| Robert Marmen             marmen@bnr.ca  OR             |
| Bell Northern Research    marmen%bnr.ca@cunyvm.cuny.edu |
| (613) 763-8244         My opinions are my own, not BNRs |

pha@CAEN.ENGIN.UMICH.EDU (Paul H. Anderson) (03/10/90)

	From: marmen%bcara128%bnrgate.uucp@uunet.uu.net
	To: apollo@umix.cc.umich.edu

	In article <21036@bcsaic.UUCP>, vince@bcsaic.UUCP (Vince Skahan) writes:
	> You folks sure seem to be making a lot of headaches for yourselves
	> getting a product that will never wrk into production.
	>
	> Doesn't the SR10.x documentation and maybe help files rather clearly
	> state that anonymous FTP is not supported undmr Domain/OS ???

	  Under sr10.1, man ftpd documents how anonymous ftp works. There is no
	  disclaimer that it is not supported/implemented. However, the sr10.2
	  man page has a disclaimer in it.

	> Shouldn't a 2-minute help line call to HP/Apollo get the answer for you
	> once and for all ???

	  I also had a call into the hotline. When I received a call back, I knew
	  more about FTP than the Apollo rep. THIS SCARES ME!

	  BTW, our HP account rep also 'accidentally' discovered that anonymous
	  ftp did not work. This raised a few eyebrows over at HP as well.

	  This is not the first time that we have tripped over undocumented bugs.
	  It's just very frustrating to have a machine which is supposedly JLRU,
	  not support tools which are commonly available on other platforms and
	  also has documentation which is misleading.

	  Enough flaming for now. It's time I slid back under the murky waters from
	  whence I came ;-)

	cheers
	rob...
	| Robert Marmen             marmen@bnr.ca  OR             |
	| Bell Northern Research    marmen%bnr.ca@cunyvm.cuny.edu |
	| (613) 763-8244         My opinions are my own, not BNRs |

The lack of anonymous ftp directly contributes to a slower flow of freely
available software available via anonymous ftp.  Many times, I've wished
I didn't need to set up a sun or dec to provide this basic service.  In
my opinion, Apollo shot themselves in the foot not providing basic anonymous
ftp ability, with appropriate caveats regarding the lack of chroot().

Paul Anderson
CAEN Systems Programmer