[comp.sys.apollo] Compiling and running GCC on an Apollo

rcbaem@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl (Ernst <pooh> Mulder) (03/15/90)

In article <4918d012.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> vasta@apollo.HP.COM (John Vasta) writes:

>There was a problem in earlier releases of the C compiler which caused it
>to incorrectly allocate bit fields of enum type. There is a workaround in
>the gcc source to accomodate this; you should define SHORT_ENUM_BUG when
>you compile. There are comments in the Makefile explaining which compiler
>switches to use on the Apollo, but again, it assumes an SR10.1 or later
>system. Don't use the switches which won't work with your compiler release.

 I did define SHORT_ENUM_BUG, but defining this macro doesn't help. There
are no workarounds, in the tree.def/tree.h/tree.c files which work around
the >127 number if items in the enum type.

 So, as a soliution I removed one of the entries which was only used in
Pascal from the tree.def file and removed the corresponding entry in the
file expr.c. This solved the problem..

 Maybe I should ask my department to get a newer C compiler :)

 Ernst.