[comp.sys.apollo] Dn660 ethernet-TCP/IP troubles

dvadura@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Dennis Vadura) (03/16/90)

Configuration:

	DN660, Mutibus-Ethernet Card, Ring connection
	OS10.2 (no patches)

The 660 is on a two node ring, with a DN3000 being the other node.
The 3000 only has a ring adaptor.  So the 660 is required as the TCP/IP
ethernet gateway for our large :-) two node ring.

Only problem is, TCP/IP on the 660 can't see the ethernet controler, and
I am uncertain if it is the 10.2 software, or our card broke.  The entire
mess worked fine with 10.1.

The symptoms are:

	ifconfig eth0 <net-id> netmask 0xfffffe00

fails to bring the ethernet interface up to an <UP,...,RUNNING> status
as normally reported by 'ifconfig eth0'.  When tcpd is run in debug mode
it complains that /dev/ethernet0 device is non existant, but

	/etc/mkdev /sys/dev all

does not create such a device on the 660.

Question:
	Does anyone out there have a 660 that is acting as a gateway running
	10.2.  If so, how did you get the node to act as a gateway.  I have
	no luck.  Second, if it turns out to be a hardware problem, does
	anyone know how to run the diagnostics for the ethernet card on a
	660?  Our Multibus-ethercard documentation mentions files that are
	not present in the 10.2 distribution.

-any ideas/suggestions will be greatly appreciated
-dennis
four more, three, two, ... LAST ONE!!  |Dennis  UUCP,BITNET:    dvadura@water
I LIED!!  Eight MORE, seven... (he he) |Vadura  EDU,CDN,CSNET:  dvadura@waterloo

thallem@guille.ECE.ORST.EDU (Michael G. Lohmeyer) (03/16/90)

In article <22042@watdragon.waterloo.edu> dvadura@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Dennis Vadura) writes:

....Some parts deleted.......

>Only problem is, TCP/IP on the 660 can't see the ethernet controler, and
>I am uncertain if it is the 10.2 software, or our card broke.  The entire
>mess worked fine with 10.1.
>
>The symptoms are:
>
>	ifconfig eth0 <net-id> netmask 0xfffffe00
>
>fails to bring the ethernet interface up to an <UP,...,RUNNING> status
>as normally reported by 'ifconfig eth0'.  When tcpd is run in debug mode
>it complains that /dev/ethernet0 device is non existant, but
>
>	/etc/mkdev /sys/dev all
>
>does not create such a device on the 660.
>
>Question:
>	Does anyone out there have a 660 that is acting as a gateway running
>	10.2.  If so, how did you get the node to act as a gateway.  I have
>	no luck.  Second, if it turns out to be a hardware problem, does
>	anyone know how to run the diagnostics for the ethernet card on a
>	660?  Our Multibus-ethercard documentation mentions files that are
>	not present in the 10.2 distribution.

     The /dev/ethernet0 file (and any other files that go with it) is
needed to make the Multibus ethernet card work.  These drivers come with
the ethernet card, not with the system software.  I have the same problem
in that I want to use a multibus ethernet card, but I didn't get the drivers
with the card, and since we are not on a service contract with Apollo,
we can't get the drivers.
     In order to solve your problem, you will have to find the software
that came with your ethernet card and install the drivers again.  I don't
know if this will work because you will be bridging software versions,
but it is worth a try.  Does anyone else know if this will work?

     If you don't have the drivers, then you, like I, will have to
obtain them from somewhere.  Which brings up my question.

     Does anyone know a way that the ethernet drivers (and possibly
the documentation) can be obtained short of spending an arm and a leg
for it purchasing it from Apollo?  If I have the card, then shouldn't
I also be entitled to have the software?  We are running SR9.7 now and
will be doing a transition to SR10.1 during the next several months.

Mike Lohmeyer				thallem@ece.orst.edu
Oregon State University			(503) 737-9264
Electrical & Computer Engineer Dept.

rew@apollo.HP.COM (Robert Wolters) (03/20/90)

> Only problem is, TCP/IP on the 660 can't see the ethernet controler, and
> I am uncertain if it is the 10.2 software, or our card broke.  The entire
> mess worked fine with 10.1.

        With Multibus nodes like the 660 you still need the ECMB version 2.0
        driver.  The same driver used at 9.7 and 10.1.  After loading the driver
        check in /sys/driver/ecmb, there should be a script called build_ddf.sh.
        It will build /dev/ethernet0. Invoke this on the DN660 and then retry
        TCP/ifconfig.

        Also, the /etc/routed that was shipped with sr10.2 is bad.  Please contact
        the Response Center and get the patch for ROUTED.  If you rely on dynamic
        routing for your TCP communication, you WILL need it.

        Cheers,

          Rob Wolters
          Networking Support