[comp.sys.apollo] Exabyte

curt@ecn.purdue.edu (Curt Freeland) (03/22/90)

We have been running Exabyte tape drives on our SUN systems here
for some time now.  Now we would like to start using them on our
Apollo systems (DN3500).

We have the drive connected to the SCSI port on the WD disk
controller.  This is as far as we got.  We do not know what driver
software is required, how to order it, how to configure it, ...
HP/Apollo has not been much help.  We have been calling them for
2 months, and still have no answer.  Whatever driver is loaded does not
"see" the drive that is out there.  It does find our cartrige
tape drive when we connect it to the system, and disconnect the
Exabyte.

If you are running an Exabyte on your Apollo DN3500, I would be
interested in hearing from you.

Thanks,

Curt Freeland
Manager, Systems Engineering
Engineering Computer Network
Purdue University
(317) 494-3715
(curt@mischief.ecn.purdue.edu) or (uunet!pur-ee!curt)

krowitz%richter@umix.cc.umich.edu (David Krowitz) (03/22/90)

Apollo only supports the Exabyte drive with the Omniback program.
Omniback uses a new magtape library which drives the Exabyte tape,
regular 9-track tapes, and (I think) cartridge tapes. *ALL* of the
other Apollo tape utility programs that I know of (wbak/rbak, tar,
rwmt, dd, etc) use the original magtape device library which supports
only 9-track and cartridge tape drives, not the Exabyte tape drive.

We purchased our Exabyte drive from Workstation Solutions. They
provided a magtape library which is automatically loaded before
you run a program and which makes the Exabyte drive look like a
standard 9-track tape drive using the older magtape library. Thus,
we can use wbak/rbak, rwmt, tar, dd, et. al. with our 8mm tape unit.

My information on the Apollo tape libraries is several months old
at this point. They may (or may not) have plans to merge the two
tape libraries in the future, but at this point it seems that only
the older tape library, which does not support the 8mm drive, is
shipped with the OS. The new library is apparently shipped with
Omniback (or is stored in a library whose name is not readily
apparent to me).

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

achille@cernvax.UUCP (achille petrilli) (03/23/90)

In article <1990Mar21.160013.5672@ecn.purdue.edu> curt@ecn.purdue.edu (Curt Freeland) writes:
>We have the drive connected to the SCSI port on the WD disk
>controller.  This is as far as we got.  We do not know what driver
>software is required, how to order it, how to configure it, ...
>HP/Apollo has not been much help.  We have been calling them for
>2 months, and still have no answer.  Whatever driver is loaded does not
>"see" the drive that is out there.  It does find our cartrige
>tape drive when we connect it to the system, and disconnect the
>Exabyte.

Hi,
to use the Exabyte you should be running 10.2 or have Omniback on 10.[01].
There is no special library for SCSI magtapes. At 10.2 the installation
will create a type manager rmt_scsi and 4 devices, rmts[89] and rmts1[23].
These are for SCSI magtapes target id 1 and 2 respectively and rewind on
close/no rewind on close.
If your mag tape unit should run on a different SCSI id, you have to create
new devices whose major number is the same as rmts8 and minor number is
	4 * target_id [ + 32 ]
Add 32 for the no-rewind-on-close device.
I ran using the sr10.2 rmt_scsi manager Exabyte units, DAT units and IBM
3480 compatible units.
All of those units ran without a problem. Just write/read to/from them
like on real Unix. Unfortunately the /bin/mt program does not
allow you to do anything more than rewind on SCSI mag tape units. I guess
you can position on specific file numbers using ioctl.
Good luck,
	Achille Petrilli

dbfunk@ICAEN.UIOWA.EDU (David B Funk) (03/23/90)

In posting <1667@cernvax.UUCP>,  Achille Petrilli writes:

>In article <1990Mar21.160013.5672@ecn.purdue.edu> curt@ecn.purdue.edu (Curt Freeland) writes:
>>We have the drive connected to the SCSI port on the WD disk
>>controller.  This is as far as we got.  We do not know what driver
>>software is required, how to order it, how to configure it, ...

[stuff deleted]

>Hi,
>to use the Exabyte you should be running 10.2 or have Omniback on 10.[01].
>There is no special library for SCSI magtapes. At 10.2 the installation
>will create a type manager rmt_scsi and 4 devices, rmts[89] and rmts1[23].

[stuff deleted]

>I ran using the sr10.2 rmt_scsi manager Exabyte units, DAT units and IBM
>3480 compatible units.
>All of those units ran without a problem. Just write/read to/from them
>like on real Unix. Unfortunately the /bin/mt program does not
>allow you to do anything more than rewind on SCSI mag tape units. I guess
>you can position on specific file numbers using ioctl.
>Good luck,
>	Achille Petrilli

sr10.2 will provide you with the type manager and device files (/dev/rmt*)
to access the Exabyte tape drive. The optional OmniBack product provides a
special version of "mt" that can be used to position the 8 mm tapes.
Here is an excerpt from the OmniBack Release 1.2 notes:

  OmniBack mt Command

  OmniBack  uses  Domain/OS  type  managers  to access tape devices, but
  SR10.1 does not currently provide full support  for  the  SCSI  device
  access  method.   However,  OmniBack supplies an mt-compatible command
  for use until base software is  provided.   The  OmniBack  command  is
  called   /etc/omniback/bin/new_mt,  and  it  provides  primitive  tape
  positioning functions.  It supports the same options as does the  UNIX
  mt command for  SCSI tape devices.