[comp.sys.apollo] DM and logout

dvadura@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Dennis Vadura) (03/28/90)

Ok, I've RTFM'ed the manual until I am blue in the face, but no luck in
finding what I need.  I run the Xapollo server in X-own's root mode,
and use dm to do the login/logout.  This way I get xwindows and twm as
a window manager, but I get the nice dm login/logout message windows
accross the bottom of the screen.

The problem:  When you use X, and create Xwindows on your display via an
	      rsh to some other host, if you then go to the DM login
	      window and type lo (logout), all windows except the remote
	      client windows are closed by the Xapollo server.  The other
	      windows remain active and up on the display, A somewhat
	      distressing situation.

What I need to do is to send the Xapollo server a HUP signal, but I want
to do it only when I type 'lo' in the DM login window.

So, Is there some way to do this?  I can get the pid of the Xapollo process
and send it the HUP if I can run a script prior to loging out.  Does the
DM look for the equivalent of a .logout file somewhere, when you logout?

-dennis
P.S> I could use xdm, but I want to use DM, to log in for other reasons.
     I just can't believe there is no way to do this.
four more, three, two, ... LAST ONE!!  |Dennis  UUCP,BITNET:    dvadura@water
I LIED!!  Eight MORE, seven... (he he) |Vadura  EDU,CDN,CSNET:  dvadura@waterloo

dawson@apollo.HP.COM (Keith Dawson) (03/28/90)

In article <22581@watdragon.waterloo.edu> dvadura@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Dennis Vadura) writes:
>Ok, I've RTFM'ed the manual until I am blue in the face, but no luck in
>So, Is there some way to do this?  I can get the pid of the Xapollo process
>and send it the HUP if I can run a script prior to loging out.  Does the
>DM look for the equivalent of a .logout file somewhere, when you logout?

From /sys/help/lo:

     You can execute a DM command script automatically at logout.  The logout
     script must be in a file named `node_data/startup_logout.type, where type
     is one of the standard display type extensions used for startup filenames
     (for example, 19l, color, none, and so on). Note that you cannot start up
     new processes with cp, cps, or cpo from this script, because the DM is in
     the process of shutting down all existing processes, unless you specify
     the -w option with cps or cpd.

Should'a' RTFH'ed! :^}

-->Keith
Keith Dawson  Hewlett Packard Co.         508-256-0176 x5739   are my own.
              Graphics Technology Division / East
              300 Apollo Dr.  (CHR.03.DE)
              Chelmsford, MA  01824                      USA   My convictions
              Internet: dawson@apollo.hp.com                   are not for
              UUCP: {mit-eddie,yale,uw-beaver}!apollo!dawson   public display.