[comp.sys.apollo] "Ethernet or Apollo Token Ring?"

orand@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (03/30/90)

    I need some expert advice on networks.  We have a lab with 16 DN 4000's
networked with Ethernet.  We are having severe problems with network speed
and are contemplating going to Apollo Token Ring.  I for one, think this
is an excellent idea but would like to get some "real" opinions.

    The question is:

	"Ethernet or Apollo Token Ring?"  "Why?"

    Brady...

Brady Orand - University of Kansas Computer Center  Lawrence, Ks.  66045

ORAND@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
Work:  (913) 864-0490
Home:  (913) 749-1341

wjw@eb.ele.tue.nl (Willem Jan Withagen) (04/09/90)

In article <21091@joshua.athertn.Atherton.COM> joshua@Atherton.COM (Flame Bait) writes:
>chen@digital.sps.mot.com (Jinfu Chen) writes:
>> Also in ethernet environment you can't never get over 50% of the
>> spec'ed speed due to the collsion.
>
>Wrong answer.  The right answer is that the maximum real world throughput
>is at least 8.9 Mbits over the wire and over 1Mbyte task-to-task, or over
>85% of spec.  Interesting details:
>   2 processes talking to each other.
>   Two 20MHz 68020 machines
>   Running 4BSD UNIX (I assume 4.3).
>   The test was done in Sept. 88
>   Using an AMD LANCE chip with a receive buffer of 10 packets or more.

I wonder wether this is the right correction. One of the key remarks in this
is 'collision'. Now collisions do not happen on an ethernet with only two
communicating processes. As soon as more processes want to communicate at
the same time, their packages start to collide and are resent ( even more than
once ). And this fact is specifically ignored in the above test.

Hence, the 8.9Mbits spec tells you taht an 10Mbit ethernet without collisions
does not even get close to an 10Mbit performance. Using Jinfu Chen estimate
gives this ~4.5Mbits real troughput on a wire with more than 2 communicating
processes.

Well at least this is the story, as I tell it during my classes. If things
have altered this significantly then I must have been sleeping. And will
now be awakend by the flames of the net.

Greetings

	Willem Jan Withagen

Eindhoven University of Technology
DomainName:  wjw@eb.ele.tue.nl    BITNET: ELEBWJ@HEITUE5.BITNET
room EH 10.10                     Digital Systems Group
P.O. 513                          Tel: +31-40-473401
5600 MB Eindhoven                 The Netherlands

krowitz%richter@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (David Krowitz) (04/09/90)

MIT telecommunications office estimates that in a *REAL* "real world" situation
(ie. several dozen Sun-3's, DEC Vaxstations of various sorts, and IBM PC's running
project Athena software) they never get more than 30% of the specified ethernet
performance. I can believe that you'd get 85% of the spec with only two nodes
talking -- you would not get vary many collisions -- but try putting half a dozen
diskless Sun-3's talking to 4 or 5 file servers all doing geophysics, oceanography,
or meteorology applications. It's a whole different ballgame.

A single node reading a remote data file, or doing diskless paging, can easily
generate 100 1kbyte packets per second. This is ~1/10th the capacity of an ethernet.
If three nodes (out of a few dozen) were running like this, and if they were
somehow avoiding any collisions (which would eat up extra net bandwidth), they
would be consumming 30% of the network's capacity. Any addition node would have
at least a 30% chance of causng a collision ON EVERY SINGLE TRANSMIT IT ATTEMPTS!
Each collision with a 1Kb packet consumes 0.1% of the network capacity. At 100
packets/sec, this one additional node is eating up a minimum of 3% of the network
capacity in collisions by itself. Add routing daemons, rlogin/telnet sessions (which use
a TCP/IP packet for every single character you type!), and twenty to thirty nodes all
running NFS with a 50-50 split between diskless nodes and severs and the network
capacity eaten up by collisions is substaintial.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet