[comp.sys.apollo] sendmail 5.61+IDA

jimr@maths.su.oz.au (Jim Richardson) (04/10/90)

In article <486@al.ele.tue.nl>, jos@ele.tue.nl (Jos van Eijndhoven) writes:
> ... I  tried to compile and install the original sendmail
>(version 5.61) on our apollos (DN3000 and DN2500).
>It says 'Apollo-specific fault (UNIX/signal)' and exits.
>In the conf.h file no specific changes were made,

The 'Apollo-specific fault' is caused by sendmail trying to change the process
argument vector argv[] in a way which trashes the stack.  To avoid this, comment
out the definition of SETPROCTITLE in conf.h (you should also comment out
the definition of YP).

I have recently got sendmail 5.61 with the IDA enhancements running under
SR10.2.  The trickiest part was to deal with cross-node locking of the
alias database.  I have a solution to this which works, except that it
does not permit automatic rebuilding of the database.

If there is sufficient interest I will post the patches: they are not very
large.

(Note that the IDA version of sendmail IS large -- about 600 kB.  It should be
available from a nearby friendly archive site.)

--
Jim Richardson
Department of Pure Mathematics, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia

"When she was dark she was very very dark, but when she was light she was
lighter than air."  -- J. Crowley