[comp.sys.apollo] DN3000 ring/ethernet configuration question

fredv@orion.oac.uci.edu (Fred Velijanian) (04/10/90)

I have a DN3000 with both a RING and an Ethernet interface. I would like to
remove the RING interface and only use Ethernet. However after removing the
board, running "CONFIG", turning the machine off and on, it still wants to
perform a RING test upon startup and fails with an error message. Apollo
customer support tells me that this is a hardware problem, however today I
performed the same test with another DN3000 with the same result. What step
am I missing here?

Another option is to make the ethernet the primary interface so that
commands such as "lcnode" use ethernet rather than ring. Eventhough I specify
ethernet to be the primary device in CONFIG, "lcnode" still uses ring after
booting.

Thanks in advance for any hints

Fred Velijanian
UC Irvine
fredv@vmsd.oac.uci.edu

scott@labtam.oz (Scott Colwell) (04/11/90)

From article <26212A65.20884@orion.oac.uci.edu>, by fredv@orion.oac.uci.edu (Fred Velijanian):
> I have a DN3000 with both a RING and an Ethernet interface. I would like to
> remove the RING interface and only use Ethernet. However after removing the
> board, running "CONFIG", turning the machine off and on, it still wants to
> perform a RING test upon startup and fails with an error message. Apollo
> customer support tells me that this is a hardware problem, however today I
> performed the same test with another DN3000 with the same result. What step
> am I missing here?

Old boot roms may be your problem. I had a DN3000 (not a DN3010) with old
boot roms that I upgraded from ring to ethernet and had problems with the
self test in the roms failing while trying to test the ring card. The old
roms were version 3 and the ones that work correctly for me are version 5.

I don't know what version 4 roms do but later than version 5 are supposed
to work also.

	My boot rom is marked

	BOOT	J10
	08475     5    <--- this number is the version

If you want to test this without getting new roms, boot the machine
manually by typing 'EX AEGIS' (pre SR10) or 'EX DOMAIN_OS' at the
debugger prompt '>'. This was how I operated for some months until
we figured what the problem was.

From vn Wed Apr 11 13:08:58 1990
Subject: Re: DN3000 ring/ethernet configuration question
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apollo