[comp.sys.apollo] 'rdate' for apollo

huntting@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Brad Huntting) (04/11/90)

I'm looking for a clean way to set the clock on our apollos.
Timed is not acceptable, because my time keeper is about 7
hops away.  Never the less, using timedc I can get a
clockdiff accurate to about 10ms.

On suns there is a utility called rdate which will syncronize
the clock to a remote machine.  (Though I don't know how
well it works.)

My question is:
        Where can I find source for rdate?

                        /    \
 Brad Huntting         /      \    noaa
                       \    __/
                        \     \
                        /     /    space environment lab
                       /     /

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (04/11/90)

huntting@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Brad Huntting) writes:
>I'm looking for a clean way to set the clock on our apollos.
>Timed is not acceptable, because my time keeper is about 7
>hops away.  Never the less, using timedc I can get a
>clockdiff accurate to about 10ms.
I gave up on timed as using it, when the apollo assumed mastership
it lost several minutes a day, taking all our clocks with it.

>On suns there is a utility called rdate which will syncronize
>the clock to a remote machine.  (Though I don't know how
>well it works.)
I have suns on my net, but I changed them also over the ntpdate.
(from louie.udel.edu).  ntpdate will poll master clock servers
and create a local service if necessary to set your clocks to
wwv time.  Since I don't care if my clocks are a second off,
I run it as a 'casual' user and every several hours just run
ntpdate to reset it. There is also a locking method for more
precise use using the ntpd version.  I suggest you try that.

>My question is:
>        Where can I find source for rdate?

>                        /    \
> Brad Huntting         /      \    noaa
>                       \    __/
>                        \     \
>                        /     /    space environment lab
>                       /     /
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or bpa!dsinc!syd                    FAX:   (215) 938-0235

rees@dabo.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (04/11/90)

In article <1990Apr11.135251.13805@DSI.COM>, syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein)
writes:
> I have suns on my net, but I changed them also over the ntpdate.
> (from louie.udel.edu).  ntpdate will poll master clock servers
> and create a local service if necessary to set your clocks to
> wwv time.

ntpdate has a bug that prevents it from working when run from cron.  Bill
Sommerfeld of Apollo sent me a fix, which I didn't use all of, but this
should be enough to make it work:

*** ntpdate.c_o	Wed Apr 11 12:32:17 1990
--- ntpdate.c	Wed Apr 11 12:31:31 1990
*** 1158,1163 ****
--- 1158,1165 ----
  	full_recvbufs = 0;