[comp.sys.apollo] jove on apollo?

crouch@axion.bt.co.uk (Chris Rouch) (04/11/90)

Has anyone got jove working on an apollo running 10.2? I can get it to
build, but not run properly if i use ver bsd4.3, and can't get it to
build if I use ver sys5.3. If anyone has managed to get it to build and
run I'd be interested in hearing from you.

Chris
Chris Rouch                                             crouch@axion.bt.co.uk
RT3141, BTRL, Martlesham Heath, Ipswich, England.              +44 473 646093

Pick a card. Any card. WRONG.

michel@ele.tue.nl (& Berkelaar) (04/11/90)

In article <1990Apr11.100739.23893@axion.bt.co.uk> crouch@axion.bt.co.uk (Chris Rouch) writes:

   Has anyone got jove working on an apollo running 10.2? I can get it to
   build, but not run properly if i use ver bsd4.3, and can't get it to
   build if I use ver sys5.3. If anyone has managed to get it to build and
   run I'd be interested in hearing from you.

Jove will not run on Apollo's properly because it does not understand
pathnames starting with //. I did have a look at the code, but it is full of
hardcoded '/' and "/", so I did not even try to touch it. I would be
interested in hearing of solutions too.
Michel Berkelaar                   | Email: michel@ele.tue.nl      (prefered)
Eindhoven University of Technology |        ..!mcvax!euteal!michel (old)
Dept. of Electrical Engineering    |
Design Automation Section          |
P.O. Box 513                       | Phone: ... - 31 - 40 - 473345
NL-5600 MB Eindhoven               | Fax:   ... - 31 - 40 - 448375
The Netherlands                    |

north@Apple.COM (Donald N. North) (04/13/90)

In article <MICHEL.90Apr11152620@al.ele.tue.nl> michel@ele.tue.nl (& Berkelaar) writes:
>In article <1990Apr11.100739.23893@axion.bt.co.uk> crouch@axion.bt.co.uk (Chris Rouch) writes:
>   Has anyone got jove working on an apollo running 10.2? I can get it to
>   build, but not run properly if i use ver bsd4.3, ......
>Jove will not run on Apollo's properly because it does not understand
>pathnames starting with //. I did have a look at the code, but it is full of
>hardcoded '/' and "/", so I did not even try to touch it. I would be
>interested in hearing of solutions too.

Huh? I've had jove 4.13 running on an Apollo 4500 (albeit running 10.1) for
several months now with no problems - that port went flawlessly.  I think you
may want to try a newer version (older versions have been notorious for being
very machine dependent and hard to port).
--

Don North   -----   Apple Computer, Inc.   -----   Advanced Technology Group

UUCP: ...!{voder,nsc,decwrl,sun}!apple!north          CSNET: north@Apple.COM

{{ Facts are facts,  but any opinions expressed are my own,  and *do not* }}
{{ represent any viewpoint, official or otherwise, of Apple Computer, Inc.}}