[comp.sys.apollo] question on hostid

bshaw@vlsic2.ti.com (Bob Shaw) (04/12/90)

Is there a way , withing a C program , to read the Apollo rom
that has the hostid ?  I was thinking in terms of gethostid()
etc.
Thanks in advance

Bob Shaw Texas Instruments  Dallas
bshaw@vlsic2.csc.ti.com

krowitz%richter@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (David Krowitz) (04/13/90)

If you are looking for the Apollo node ID (as opposed to the IP host
number), you can use the pm_$get_sid_txt call. It returns a string
of the form: person.group.project.node_id  for the owner of the process
which executes the call.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

rees@dabo.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (04/14/90)

In article <9004122159.AA08635@richter.mit.edu>,
krowitz%richter@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (David Krowitz) writes:
> If you are looking for the Apollo node ID (as opposed to the IP host
> number), you can use the pm_$get_sid_txt call. It returns a string
> of the form: person.group.project.node_id  for the owner of the process
> which executes the call.

It's even easier than that:

	nodeid = atoi(getenv("NODEID"));

This is subject to spoofing of course, so I wouldn't use it to try to node
lock a particular piece of software.  It's actually more complicated than
this, since the node id is hex and atoi wants decimal, and good programming
practice would require a bit more sanity checking.  But you get the idea.