[comp.sys.apollo] Runaway /etc/init on dn3500 sr10.1/bsd4.3/sysv?

Markku.Savela@tel.vtt.fi (Markku Savela) (04/13/90)

   I seemed to have a run-away /etc/init on my lone dn3500 (using
TCP/IP, no other apollo domain nodes). When looked with "ps aux"
etc/init had SZ ~ 20000 and RSS kept yoyoing from around 100 upto
2000-4000! You can guess what this does to 8Mb machine... (SZ was
also slowly creeping upwards...).

  Any ideas what might be the problem and how to prevent it happening?
I did have one socket buffer overlow (netstat showed sendq > 9000 for
a while hours ago) and disk is 90% full, if those can have anything to
do with it...?

  After reboot I hasn't repeated yet...

--
Markku Savela                         | savela@tel.vtt.fi
Technical Research Centre of Finland  |

ross@cancol.oz (Ross Johnson) (04/14/90)

In article <4815@hemuli.tik.vtt.fi>, Markku.Savela@tel.vtt.fi (Markku Savela) writes:

>    I seemed to have a run-away /etc/init on my lone dn3500 (using
> TCP/IP, no other apollo domain nodes). When looked with "ps aux"
> etc/init had SZ ~ 20000 and RSS kept yoyoing from around 100 upto
> 2000-4000! You can guess what this does to 8Mb machine... (SZ was
> also slowly creeping upwards...).

[ First of all, if anyone sees this article can they send me e-mail. I'd
  like to know if it gets any further than the phone plug on the wall.  ]

I had this exact problem just recently and it had me worried. It turned
out to be lines in the /etc/ttys file which specified "none" for the command
field and were also flagged "on". I had done this so that root could
rlogin by adding lines for all the ttyp* devices and following the manual
verbatim, ie. ttys(4) said the line should be flagged "on" and "secure". I've
found I only need the "secure" flag (unless there's something I haven't
discovered yet).

	Ross Johnson
	ross@cancol.oz.au