[comp.sys.apollo] SR10.2 pty problems

thallem@guille.ECE.ORST.EDU (Michael G. Lohmeyer) (05/07/90)

In article <517@tron.UUCP> kerr@tron.bwi.wec.com.UMD.EDU (Dave Kerr) writes:
>In article <17874@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> thallem@guille.ECE.ORST.EDU.ECE.ORST.EDU (Michael G. Lohmeyer) writes:
>>In article <833@nikhefh.nikhef.nl> e07@nikhefh.nikhef.nl (Eric Wassenaar) writes:
>>>
>>>This message is to confirm that the reported pty problems
>>>are present at my site as well.
>>>

>[ Dicussion of problems with ptys hanging deleted...]
>
>I haven't noticed any mention of the shell being used when
>using rlogin, telnet and so forth, so I thought I'd mention
>this. There is a bug in the korn shell that will cause
>certain programs like rlogin and crp to hang.

All the the rlogin and telnet problems that I mentioned in my earlier
posting were when trying to log in using a csh.  But that does not matter
because the problems I have been encountering occur before the person even
gets a chance to log in.  Hence, the shell has not been determined by
the system.  The bugs with the psuedo ttys usually don't allow the user
to enter a password on my system when using telnet.

It is nice to hear (from other postings) that Apollo is aware of the
many problems due to the psuedo ttys and they are working to solve them.
I hope that a working solution is found soon.  These kind of bugs in
software are almost intolerable.  I say almost only because so far my
user's demands (the classes using the machines this term) do not include
the constant need to remotely log into the Apollo computers.

Mike
Mike Lohmeyer				thallem@ece.orst.edu
Oregon State University			(503) 737-9264
Electrical & Computer Engineer Dept.