[comp.sys.apollo] Unix apropos command?

krowitz%richter@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (David Krowitz) (05/03/90)

Anyone have an idea why my SR10.2 system's "apropos" command
does not have any information about any topic whatsoever when
run from a BSD4.3 C-shell? My other Unix based systems (Alliant,
Sun) seem to have a reasonable database of 'apropriate' information.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

jinchi@ORPHEUS.STANFORD.EDU (Jinchi Chu) (05/04/90)

On May 3, 12:10pm, David Krowitz wrote:
<< Subject: Unix apropos command?

> Anyone have an idea why my SR10.2 system's "apropos" command
> does not have any information about any topic whatsoever when
> run from a BSD4.3 C-shell? My other Unix based systems (Alliant,
> Sun) seem to have a reasonable database of 'apropriate' information.

You need to have the file /usr/man/whatis, although I don't know
why it is not on Apollo systems. Just copy one from another system.

achille@cernvax.UUCP (achille petrilli) (05/04/90)

In article <9005031610.AA07860@richter.mit.edu> krowitz%richter@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (David Krowitz) writes:
>Anyone have an idea why my SR10.2 system's "apropos" command
>does not have any information about any topic whatsoever when
>run from a BSD4.3 C-shell? My other Unix based systems (Alliant,
>Sun) seem to have a reasonable database of 'apropriate' information.

"apropos" looks in the /bsd4.3/usr/man/whatis file for the keywords you specify.
This file probably does not exist. You can make it using /usr/lib/makewhatis.
It's a K-shell script, so you can look at it.

Achille Petrilli

eero@tut (Pajarre Eero) (05/04/90)

In article <9005031842.AA19068@orpheus.stanford.edu> jinchi@ORPHEUS.STANFORD.EDU (Jinchi Chu) writes:

   On May 3, 12:10pm, David Krowitz wrote:
   > > Anyone have an idea why my SR10.2 system's "apropos" command >
   does not have any information about any topic whatsoever when > run
   from a BSD4.3 C-shell? My other Unix based systems (Alliant, > Sun)
   seem to have a reasonable database of 'apropriate' information.  >

   You need to have the file /usr/man/whatis, although I don't know
   why it is not on Apollo systems. Just copy one from another system.
------------

The /usr/man/whatis database can be generated from man pages by
running /usr/lib/makewhatis. The apollo suplied makewhatis (we are
running sr10.2) doesn't handle apollo specific manual pages
(/usr/man/mana) correctly. It is easy to fix because it is just a
ksh-script. Add the following line

				  -o "$line" = "SYNOPSIS (C)"\
after line
				[    "$line" = "SYNOPSIS" \

You must of course have  write access to /usr/man to run makewhatis
succesfully

	Eero Pajarre

Eero Pajarre                       eero@tut.fi
tel: +358-31-162189      Tampere University of Technology
fax: +358-31-162913   PO Box 527,  SF-33101 Tampere, FINLAND

hanche@imf.unit.no (Harald Hanche-Olsen) (05/04/90)

David Krowitz <krowitz@richter.mit.edu> asks...

   Anyone have an idea why my SR10.2 system's "apropos" command
   does not have any information about any topic whatsoever when
   run from a BSD4.3 C-shell?

It is because the system administrator (that's you, right?) hasn't run
the shell script /usr/lib/makewhatis.  It has to be run once for every
directory mentioned in your MANPATH.  Usage, if I remember it right,
is

/usr/lib/makewhatis <directory>

and it will make <directory>/whatis, which is where the whatis command
looks.  makewhatis, by the way, is now a Korn shell script.  It looks
to me like it is implemented using only built-in commands of the Korn
shell, which to me means that must be one heck of a shell indeed.

- Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@imf.unit.no>
  Division of Mathematical Sciences
  The Norwegian Institute of Technology
  N-7034 Trondheim
  NORWAY

hj412fr@unidui.uni-duisburg.de (Frik) (05/04/90)

	Anyone have an idea why my SR10.2 system's "apropos" command
	does not have any information about any topic whatsoever when
	run from a BSD4.3 C-shell? My other Unix based systems (Alliant,
	Sun) seem to have a reasonable database of 'apropriate' information.

	 -- David Krowitz

	krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
	krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
	krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
	(in order of decreasing preference)

I think you need to run makewhatis.

Martin Anantharaman

FB7, FG7 (Mechanik)                             Office:  +49 (203) 379-3061
Universitaet -GH- Duisburg                      Home:    +49 (203) 37 65 89
Lotharstr. 1                                    E-Mail: hj412fr@unidui.uucp
4100 Duisburg 1
West Germany

ross@cancol.oz (Ross Johnson) (05/07/90)

In article <9005041034.AA01244@unidui.uni-duisburg.de>, hj412fr@unidui.uni-duisburg.de (Frik) writes:

> 	Anyone have an idea why my SR10.2 system's "apropos" command
> 	does not have any information about any topic whatsoever when
> 	run from a BSD4.3 C-shell? My other Unix based systems (Alliant,
> 	Sun) seem to have a reasonable database of 'apropriate' information.
>

> 	 -- David Krowitz
>
> I think you need to run makewhatis.
>
> Martin Anantharaman

That's true, but makewhatis doesn't do the Apollo specific pages correctly.
Anyone who knows ksh (I don't) can do the fix easily, but here's my patch
anyway.

+----------------------+---+
| Ross Johnson	       |   | ACSnet ross@ucisae.isae.cancol.oz.au
| Info Sciences and Eng|___| ARPA   ross%ucisae.isae.cancol.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
| University of Canberra   | UUCP   uunet!munnari!ucisae.isae.cancol.oz!ross
| PO Box 1                 | CSNET  ross%ucisae.isae.cancol.oz@australia
| Belconnen  ACT    2616   | JANET  ross%au.oz.cancol.isae.ucisae@EAN-RELAY
| AUSTRALIA                | BITNET ross%ucisae.isae.cancol.oz.au@relay.cs.net
+--------------------------+
--------------------------------cut here----------------------------------
*** makewhatis.orig	Sun May  6 20:15:22 1990
--- makewhatis	Mon May  7 11:10:39 1990
***************
*** 90,103 ****
  			[ -f $OLDPWD/man$part/$file ] && continue # already in unformatted
  			exec 3<$file		# open the file
  			text=""
! 			while read -u3 - line ; do
! 				[ "$line" = "NAME" ] && break
  			done
! 			while read -u3 - line ; do
! 				[    "$line" = "SYNOPSIS" \
! 				  -o "$line" = "DESCRIPTION" \
! 				  -o "$line" = "SYNTAX"    ] && break
! 				text="$text $line"
  			done
  			[ -n "$text" ] && print -u4 -R "${text%%-*}($suf)   -${text#*-}"
  			exec 3<&-	# close the file
--- 90,103 ----
  			[ -f $OLDPWD/man$part/$file ] && continue # already in unformatted
  			exec 3<$file		# open the file
  			text=""
! 			while read -u3 - firstw rest ; do
! 				[ "$firstw" = "NAME" ] && break
  			done
! 			while read -u3 - firstw rest ; do
! 				[    "$firstw" = "SYNOPSIS" \
! 				  -o "$firstw" = "DESCRIPTION" \
! 				  -o "$firstw" = "SYNTAX"    ] && break
! 				text="$text $firstw $rest"