[comp.sys.apollo] Apollo termcap and rlogin

walsh@stdc01.UUCP (Mike Walsh) (05/30/90)

	I have a problem.  We have a small (7) node Apollo
	token ring network with an ethernet gateway to our
	Sun(s)/Convex/VAX.  Since we have upgraged to SR10
	people would like to take advantage of the ability
	to log into a sun through the apollo.  Everything
	works as it should until Emacs is invoked.  Not all
	of the key definitions seem to be working and after
	exiting emacs, the return key seems to be redefined.
	When entering a command, nothing is echoed and nothing
	happens until a CONTROL-J is pressed, when the command
	then get echoed and executed.  Can anyone explain this.
	What we are doing is running the vt100 emulator and
	setting the term type to vt100 on the sun.

	Could our termcap entry, or lack there of for the Apollo
	be the problem?  On another not, does anyone have a
	termcap entry for the Apollo?  I have seen this asked
	before but have never seen a reply.  But then again we have
	an eratic news feed.

	Thanks for any and all help.

	Mike Walsh
	walsh@stdc01  {...!uunet!mcnc!rti!stdc01!walsh}

kerr@tron.UUCP (Dave Kerr) (05/31/90)

In article <621@stdc01.UUCP> walsh@stdc01.UUCP (Mike Walsh) writes:

>	I have a problem.  We have a small (7) node Apollo
>	token ring network with an ethernet gateway to our

[ problem with rlogin and emacs deleted ]

>	When entering a command, nothing is echoed and nothing
>	happens until a CONTROL-J is pressed, when the command
>	then get echoed and executed.  Can anyone explain this.
>	What we are doing is running the vt100 emulator and
>	setting the term type to vt100 on the sun.
>
>	Mike Walsh
>	walsh@stdc01  {...!uunet!mcnc!rti!stdc01!walsh}

Mike,
I've experienced similar things here, doing an rlogin from SR10.1 apollos to
an Ultrix Vax. Things would work fine for a while, then the session would
appear to lock up. I discovered that a ^J would echo the command line just
as you describe above. I called this in as a bug. I found that there was
a bug in /bin/ksh that can cause certain processes to hang, rlogin being one
of them. I got a patch for this and it (so far) seems to have fixed the
hanging problem as far as crp is concerned, but the problem persists with rlogin.

I found that telnet from the apollos seems to work you might give that a try
instead of using rlogin.

Dave

--
Dave Kerr (301) 765-4453 (WIN)765-4453
tron::kerr                 Internal WEC vax mail

danny@idacom.uucp (Danny Wilson) (06/02/90)

> kerr@tron.UUCP (Dave Kerr) writes
>
>[ problem with rlogin and emacs deleted ]
>
>>	When entering a command, nothing is echoed and nothing
>>	happens until a CONTROL-J is pressed, when the command
>>	then get echoed and executed.  Can anyone explain this.
>>	What we are doing is running the vt100 emulator and
>>	setting the term type to vt100 on the sun.
>>
>>	Mike Walsh
>>	walsh@stdc01  {...!uunet!mcnc!rti!stdc01!walsh}
>
>Mike,
>I've experienced similar things here, doing an rlogin from SR10.1 apollos to
>an Ultrix Vax. Things would work fine for a while, then the session would
>appear to lock up. I discovered that a ^J would echo the command line just
>as you describe above.

I posted this problem to the net about 6 months ago, but not much
has been done in the meantime in terms of fixes etc.

The problem seems to be that the terminal driver gets a little confused
when going through rlogin.  The problem doesn't have anything to do
with the vt100 emulator.

A strange thing you may notice is seeing a '!' character print
about 1 second before the login message of the remote host.

	!Last login: Wed May 30, 1990 etc etc
	SunOS 4.0 etc etc

I have tried doing rlogins in every combination between Apollo,
Sun, and Vax (BSD4.3) and only see that when login FROM and apollo
to something else (even another apollo).

From time to time, carriage returns are lost and only ^J is
interpreted as end of line.

WORKAROUND:

It this happens, simply suspend and resume the rlogin session.
This will bring the tty driver back into sanity.

eg.	apollo% rlogin sun
	!Last login: Wed May 30, 1990 etc etc
	SunOS 4.0 etc etc
	sun%				( no response here )
	^J
	sun% ~^Z			( to suspend rlogin )
	apollo%  fg
	sun% 				( all ok now )
--
Danny Wilson			danny@idacom.uucp
IDACOM Electronics		alberta!idacom!danny