[comp.sys.apollo] Tar and multiple physical tapes?

jwb@cepmax.ncsu.EDU (John W. Baugh Jr.) (05/31/90)

Isn't tar supposed to be able to write multiple
physical tapes?  I just tried it on 10.2 and
got a tape I/O error when it reached the end
of the tape (heavy sigh).

John Baugh
jwb@cepmax.ncsu.edu

mcguire@herky.cs.uiowa.edu (Charlie McGuire,6 MLH,3352730,,) (06/01/90)

From article <1990May31.161248.20596@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>, by jwb@cepmax.ncsu.EDU (John W. Baugh Jr.):
> Isn't tar supposed to be able to write multiple
> physical tapes?
	.
	.
> John Baugh
> jwb@cepmax.ncsu.edu

Tar does not write multiple tapes. There is a GNU Tar out there
somewhere that is supposed to do that.

Charlie McGuire
The University of Iowa
Dept. of Computer Science
mcguire@cs.uiowa.edu
mcguire@math.uiowa.edu

krowitz%richter@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (David Krowitz) (06/01/90)

I've never seen an implementation of "tar" that allowed
you to cross over from one tape to another. That's
why we use wbak/rbak on the Apollo's and "dump"
everywhere else.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

jwb@cepmax.ncsu.EDU (John W. Baugh Jr.) (06/01/90)

David Krowitz writes:
> I've never seen an implementation of "tar" that allowed
> you to cross over from one tape to another. That's
> why we use wbak/rbak on the Apollo's and "dump"
> everywhere else.

On a DS3100:

  NAME
       tar - multivolume archiver

  DESCRIPTION
       This utility supports EOT handling which allows the use of
       multiple media.  The utility prompts for the next volume
       when it encounters the end of the current volume.

...not to mention the Apollo documentation itself, _Administering_
_Your_Domain/OS_Network_, which says of tar:

  "However, the tape file ... can span multiple physical tapes."
				  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

John Baugh
jwb@cepmax.ncsu.edu

achille@cernvax.UUCP (achille petrilli) (06/02/90)

In article <1990May31.161248.20596@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> jwb@cepmax.ncsu.edu writes:
>Isn't tar supposed to be able to write multiple
>physical tapes?  I just tried it on 10.2 and
>got a tape I/O error when it reached the end
>of the tape (heavy sigh).
>
>John Baugh
>jwb@cepmax.ncsu.edu

If you want to use multiple tapes, try pax (/usr/apollo/bin).
It is supposed to support them and it can produce tar and cpio
compatible archive.
If create a link to pax called "tar" and then you invoke it
as "tar", it will accept tar's options and it'll be tar
compatible. By the way pax is supposed to be the IEEE standard
for data interchange, at least if I remember correctly.

Achille Petrilli
Management Information Systems

GELINASJ@CMR001.BITNET (06/02/90)

What about GNU tar? Has somebody got it working on an APOLLO?
The reason i have not even even tried is the sorry state of
the /dev dir on my machine: only root can use some devices!
This means rsh is not working, but we can still use crp.

% ls -lT /dev/pty*
pty        crw-------   1 root       9,   0 Feb  7 10:17 /dev/ptyp0
pty        crw-------   1 root       9,   1 Feb  7 10:17 /dev/ptyp1
pty        crw-------   1 root       9,   2 Feb  7 10:17 /dev/ptyp2
pty        crw-------   1 root       9,  15 Feb  7 10:17 /dev/ptypf

Here is an excerpt from the GNU tar manual (not a verbatim copy ;-)

This manual describes the GNU tape archive, @code{tar}, and how you
can use it to store copies of a file or a group of files in an
@dfn{archive}.  This archive may be written directly to a magnetic
tape or other storage medium, stored as a file, or sent through a
pipe to another program.  @code{Tar} can also be used to add files
to an already existing archive, list the files in an archive, or
extract the files in the archive.

GNU @code{tar} was written by John Gilmore, and modified by many
people.  The GNU enhancements were written by Jay Fenlason.
Copyright @copyright{} 1988 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

The GNU version of @code{tar} has special features that allow it to be
used to make incremental and full dumps of all the files in a
filesystem.

@item -M
The @samp{-M} option causes @code{tar} to write a @dfn{multi-volume}
archive--one that may be larger than will fit on the medium used to
hold it.

When this option is used, @code{tar} will not abort when it cannot
read or write any more data.  Instead, it will ask you to prepare a
new volume.  If the archive is on a magnetic tape, you should change
tapes now; if the archive is on a floppy disk, you should change
disks, etc.

Each volume of a multi-volume archive is an independent tar archive,
complete in itself.  For example, you can list or extract any volume
alone (just don't specify @samp{-M}).  However, if one file in the
archive is split across volumes, the only way to extract it
successfully is with a multi-volume extract command (@samp{-xM})
starting on or before the volume where the file begins.

rees@dabo.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (06/05/90)

In article <900601.18544621.008834@CMR.CP6>, GELINASJ@CMR001.BITNET writes:
> What about GNU tar? Has somebody got it working on an APOLLO?

I've got John Gilmore's tar working.  It's the direct predecessor of the gnu
version.  The only tricky thing is that you'd like to restore the correct
file type (obj, coff, etc) on restore.  This isn't absolutely required but
it's nice to have.  I also made some performance improvements. I can send
diffs if anyone is interested.