[comp.sys.apollo] Color Printers

hidinger@cod.UUCP (Ronald M. Hidinger) (07/28/87)

I am interested in hearing of anyone's experience with the Tektronix 4692
color printer and driver.  Critiques of other printers and drivers are
welcome, also.

I will summarize any responses.

						Ron H.
						hidinger@nosc.mil

putnam@peanuts.nosc.mil (Mike Putnam) (06/06/90)

We are currently considering buying a color printer for our
network.  Ideally we would like to find a color Postscript
printer that uses dye sublimation technology (has anyone
heard of such a machine?).  If we found such a printer
would it be possible to use Apollo's color Postscript
(Textronix 4693) driver with it?  I assume that we would need
to capture the Postscript output from the driver and then send
the postscript file to the dye sublimation printer.

                        Mike Putnam
                        Naval Ocean Systems Center
                        San Diego, CA
                        Internet: putnam@nosc.mil
                        UUCP: sdcsvax!noscvax!putnam

krowitz%richter@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (David Krowitz) (06/06/90)

The color dye diffusion/dye sublimation printers I have looked at
(Kodak, NEC, and Hitachi) have all been bitmap (raster) image
printers. These devices are generally geared towards printing
24-plane true-color images, as they can produce a full 16.7 millon
color image without resorting to dithering techniques. Postscript
was designed as a textual page layout language, not as a 3D color
imaging language. As such, it is not real good at describing true
color images (at least, not is less space than a 24-plane color
bitmap would take). The model of the 4693D which Apollo was
initially selling was not the Postscript compatible model, it
was the straight raster bitmap printer. Unless they have begun
to support both the original model and the Postscript (aka. the
Phaser) model I don't think you could use Apollo's printer driver,
and my latest copy of the Apollo add-on products catalog only
lists the non-Postscript version of the printer.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

tjohn@ike.mavd.honeywell.com ("Tony John") (06/07/90)

krowitz@richter.mit.edu writes:

>  The model of the 4693D which Apollo was initially selling was not
> the Postscript compatible model, it was teh straight raster bitmap
> printer.  Unless they have begun to support both the original model
> and the Postscript (aka. the Phaser) model I don't think you could
> use Apollo's printer drive, and my latest copy of the Apollo add-on
> products catalog only lists the non-Postscript version of the printer.

Well, I just received from Install Apollo some propaganda on the Textronix
Phaser PX Color Printer.  They even listed an upgrade to the 4693D printer
in the price quote I received.  You can call Instant Apollo for more info.
(1-800-225-5290)

I'm not endorsing Instant Apollo, I'm just a satisfied customer.

Tony John

tjohn@ike.mavd.honeywell.com  (129.30.6.122)
Opinions expressed herein are not those of Honeywell,
they don't know anything anyway.